Distracted driving - writing down mileage

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Starznsky, Mar 3, 2019.

1. Starznsky

Starznsky Bobtail Member

Aug 30, 2018
    How does the FMCSA not consider having to write down the milage when crossing state lines a major distraction and that it is extremely unsafe?

Another question

if you have an eld it will automatically save the mileage as you enter a new state right? However that apparently isn't good enough. You still must write down the milage.

fss99701 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    Because you should use a little common sense when you do it. If traffic is heavy and it would be unsafe, just make a mental note until it would be safe to jot it down.

stwik and Rubber duck kw Thank this.
  4. Atlaw4u

Atlaw4u Heavy Load Member

Jun 8, 2018
    Does your odometer have a trip setting? That's what I usually use to mark it and then I write it down at my next stop.

USMC '74-'78 Semper Fi Thanks this.
  5. Starznsky

Starznsky Bobtail Member

Aug 30, 2018
    Good idea, thanks! I figured someone would give some useful advice.

6. Starznsky

Starznsky Bobtail Member

Aug 30, 2018
    I've tried that, knew it was a bad idea before I did it. Pretty sure the 2 decades I spent indulging myself with Mary Jane from morning until night did a number on my memory, which wasn't too good to begin with.

7. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2018
    May I ask why in the hell do I need to write down the mileage every time I cross state lines?

New to driving and I have been audited and no one asked me for it other then look at my ELD records.

I passed the audit so just wondering on the mileage being written down.

8. fss99701

fss99701 Medium Load Member

Feb 14, 2019
    none of your business
    No doubt ELD software should be able to handle this
    I had a company official at Fairchild freight one-time tell me when I asked how to keep it accurate. they said they actually pull out their cell phone and take a picture of their mileage as they go into a different state. I thought this was so retarded to be playing with your cell phone trying to take a picture of your speedometer.
    And because of that I don't think I ever turned in a accurate road tax's Miles chart.
    I see some ELD companies that offer that mileage by state tracking for an extra fee.

9. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    It has nothing to do with roadside inspections, or even USDOT audits, but rather your fuel taxes (IFTA). You have to report how many gallons you buy in each state for fuel tax credits that you paid at the pump, and how many gallons you use in each state in order to determine your tax liability to each state. To figure how many gallons you used in each state, you take your average fuel mileage for the quarter (total miles driven / total number of gallons purchased) and apply that to the number of miles driven in each state. The only way to know how many miles you drove in each state is to have some record of the odometer reading whenever you cross a state line.

10. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    I've written down s/l mileages for years. Also tried using a voice recorder to get the odometer reading. Tried that making the mental note thing but I must have the same problem that @Starznsky mentioned above so that never worked. Some days I just guesstimated,

11. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    I use a scrap piece of paper and keep it in the same place all the time. I can write down miles with out even looking.
    I really don’t see it being hard to do unless you have to put your phone down.

tucker Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.