divisible overweight loads and oklahoma

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Ezrider_48501, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Ezrider_48501

Ezrider_48501 Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2011
    bismarck, nd
    i was offered some tractor trailer dump work, on a wind tower project in Oklahoma, well outside my normal operating area so im not sure what the laws are there. but per ton rate, pencils out kinda ok assuming there not lying to me, maybe worth going down there till frost law lifts up here, if its not a 80k lb state.

anyone know what the divisible load overweight laws are in Oklahoma.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ExOTR

ExOTR Windshield Chipper Extraordinaire

Jan 23, 2013
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Still 80k on Interstate, not sure about going above 80k on state roads with aggregate. I know they allow up to 95k for hauling hay and grain on state roads with the annual permit, but I've never heard of them issuing a permit for aggregate. We run up there pretty often but stay at 80k even when we avoid the interstates, haven't had a quarry even ask for an overweight permit. Best bet would be to call the DMV.

Ezrider_48501 Thanks this.
  4. Ezrider_48501

Apr 2, 2011
    bismarck, nd
    i think this is what i came up with, sense i posted this but yeah i think i am going to have to call there dmv or highway patrol office and ask. and see if i would need to just up my irp weight in ok or if there are other requirements, also varify none of the route is interstate or otherwise restricted routing.

• LEGAL DIMENSIONS

Length:
      • 59’6″ semitrailer and load is legal on Oklahoma’s “U.S. Defense Highway System” which includes all Interstate routes and many of the main U.S. Highways
      • 53′ semitrailer and load on other routes
      Width: 8’6″ (8′ on any highway having a surface width of less than 20 feet)

Height: 13’6″

Weight:

• 80,000 Gross on Interstate
      • 90,000 on non-Interstate routes (with legal tandem and tridem weights)
      • Single – 20,000
      • Tandem – 34,000
      • Tridem – 42,000

if this information apply's looks like my best bet would be to use my old tandem belly dump trailer with my tri axle tractor for 88k 28 ton payload rather than my bigger trailer, here we run bridge law up to 105,500 on state routes and a additional permit for that weight on the interstates

5. Hammer166

Hammer166 Crusty Information Officer

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    It's been a lot of years ago, but that's what I remember, had to have six axles to get to 90k.

6. damil

damil Light Load Member

Sep 23, 2012
  7. Ezrider_48501

Apr 2, 2011
    bismarck, nd
    i'm not to anxious to run down there still keeping it in mind i had a couple weeks worth of work pop up for the railroad up here.

if i was closer i would probably be less hesitant to go down there but its not like i would be likely to find something to haul down there and back so a lot of deadhead if you got down there and found out the 61 mile haul they told you is really 81 and it takes them 2 hours to get you loaded in the pit each time.

i will say this info isn't too easy to find though, north dakota has the exact rules spelled out and easy to find right on there website. ok not so much....lol or at least not that i could find.

8. damil

damil Light Load Member

Sep 23, 2012
    lol I live in Oklahoma. They mostly go by any rule they make up that day. the Oklahoma corporation commission use to do all the over weight stuff. but they turned it over to dps and it has been screwed up every since. what part of the ok state they wanting you to run. I live in this screwed up place we call a state and can answer almost any question you may have.....or I can make up answers :)

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.