Division switch from dry or reefer to flatbed?

Discussion in 'Swift' started by cmarona463, Dec 22, 2017.

1. cmarona463

cmarona463 Bobtail Member

Apr 26, 2014
    Cullman, AL
    Has anyone here switched to the flatbed division at swift? I've found myself getting more and more interested in flatbed, and I'm trying to explore a few different options. I'm on the dry van side right now, with a year and 2 months experience, and have a few questions about the logistics of switching divisions.

I would have to take the week long securement class, so I'm wondering, would they route me in my current truck to Gary, Greer, or Phoenix for the class? Or would they have me turn my truck in at the Decatur terminal (my current "home" terminal), and then travel to one of those terminals?

How did you go about making the switch? Call up the 800-800-flat number and talk to a recruiter? Or is there someone else I should talk to being that I'm already a current employee?

Overall, how does the flatbed division compare with the dry van as far as miles, fleet operations, equipment, etc.?

I searched and read a couple of the most recent threads on here, but would love to hear from someone who's done the division switch, rather than a new hire going to flatbed. Thanks!

2. ∆_Dan_∆

∆_Dan_∆ Light Load Member

Dec 2, 2015
    Niagara Falls, NY
    I plan on switching to flatbed, too. I am currently on Walmart dedicated.

3. kakk86

kakk86 Bobtail Member

Jul 16, 2017
    Virginia
    It wasn’t long ago that I was in Greer and they had several flatbedders pulling dry vans because Swift had very little flatbed freight. I’d definitely ask if the situation has improved.

• Draft saved Draft deleted