DMW Report

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by TravR1, Nov 23, 2017.

1. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    i checked my driving record and there is one accident listed there last year. Some moron rear ended me after trying to cross 3 lanes of traffic. I was not at fault. My car was not even moving. I was pinned in traffic at a light. But in my driving report it does not specify I was not at fault. That is the only thing on my report. Will that be a problem for me?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Smut

Smut Light Load Member

Jan 28, 2017
    Houston
    Probably not. I had a not at fault accident in 2013 and it hasn't been a problem for me. Just explain when they ask you about it.

TravR1 Thanks this.
  4. Fatmando

Fatmando Medium Load Member

May 14, 2012
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I believe that most states indicate whether you were determined by an officer to be at-fault, and whether or not there was any loss-of-life. Some indicate whether there were injuries, or damage above a certain value threshold. Some simply don't maintain a record of accidents that involve no injuries and damage below a value threshold.

It's worth noting that insurance companies don't always agree with the law enforcement determination, when there is one, and it's likely that the insurance determination is the one that matters, since it likely impacts whether you fit the risk category of the carrier's insurance coverage (or their internal criteria, if self-insured). I don't think I've ever heard of a state maintaining a record of who was *not* at fault; that seems as though it might subject states to liability, if the determination is used to excuse someone else from liability, and the determination is later found to have been made in error...

Seems like a good question for your local AAA office, or motor vehicle state office.

TravR1 Thanks this.
  5. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    I wonder if I can go down to the court house and ask them to take it off. There was a police report so they should be able to confirm

6. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    There was no injury and no damage to my car. My insurance rate did not go up at all.

7. Fatmando

Fatmando Medium Load Member

May 14, 2012
    Pittsburgh, PA
    No, it wouldn't have. The insurance determination would have automatically put the other fellow at-fault, just for rear-ending you, unless your vehicle was traveling in reverse, or you left the scene. Get a copy of the police report. When recruiters question what happened, being able to back up your story with a police report will greatly improve your credibility.

8. Kyle G.

Kyle G. Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Eastern Iowa
    I was rear ended right before I started truck school years ago. It was never an issue. But still had to list the accident on applications. Just state that you were rear ended and any recruiter with half a brain ought to be able to figure it out. (Cuz I’m sure all recruiters have half a brain right? Lol).

TravR1 and Smut Thank this.
  9. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    you should be ok, but it most likely will stay on your record for 3 to 5 years, then stay on your permanent driving record.

what i'd do is type up an explanation in SHORT and to the POINT detail, (date, time, weather, circumstances, ticket or no ticket *to you*) and make copies. then anytime you fill out an application, they always ask, "any accidents" and "use another piece of paper to explain"

insert your copied explanation at that point.

10. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    The matter of being on your report.
    There are people who have many accidents. But none of them their fault. They set this stuff up. Technically, legally, it is the other person's fault. I don't know what incompetence, or wickedness is going through their minds.
    I'm thinking there are states starting to record accidents simply to catch these people quicker. Rather than getting to the point the law has to do a bunch of research. Then tell the judge this person has had (for instance) 27 no fault accidents. Then the judge takes away their license.
    I had been taught in driving school about such a person.
    I had experience with such a person. I pulled my trash truck into an obvious position to turn the wheel left. Back with front going to the right. This person pulled up to my right side door and stopped. I saw her through the window in the base of the door, and my beveled mirror. I sat there until she decided to get out of my way. She then pulled over to a parking spot. Walked fast into this store. I was steamed. Just about called the cops on her. She obviously had no business whatsoever doing that. She was looking for an accident. Maybe I should have, to add to other probable no fault accidents she had. Help shut her down quicker.
    I don't know why people pull stuff like this? Why?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
  11. BB203

BB203 Light Load Member

Mar 5, 2016
    Missouri Ozarks
    The first thing a safety guy looks for is citations issued... They check to see who got a ticket or if one was even issued. They can obtain a copy of police reports or insurance determinations if they feel it necessary but mostly if you weren't cited they look at it as no fault on your part. That having been said insurance companies do factor into their risk determinations whether someone is "accident prone", that's someone who may have accidents on the record, they look at how many and time between them.. That brings me to something called "insurance credit rating"... So there is a credit "score" for your insurability that is separate from your financial credit score. It uses a number of factors to determine your risk and how much your premiums will be that include obviously your payment history to insurance companies also your DMV record, how many accidents period, where you live, how you drive, the purpose of the vehicle... lots of stuff. Insurance companies are insidious in my opinion.

Now as for having it removed.. I am not sure but I believe that unless you can show you weren't the one involved the record stays until the 3 to 5 years passes when everything is removed by law. Safety departments in truck companies are aware of how this sort of thing works and their determination is centered toward how many CSA points you have and your HireRight DAC record. If you have a CDL it doesn't matter whether you are in your POV or a CMV... Your SMS record is on the line.

TravR1 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.