Do I need ELDT if I've held a CDL in the past?

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by lumper_with_a_license, Apr 22, 2023.

1. lumper_with_a_license

lumper_with_a_license Bobtail Member

Feb 21, 2017
    I do not currently have a CDL but did up until 2021. I gave it up because I knew I was done driving but didn't foresee becoming a mechanic at that time. Now I want to get my CDL back and don't know if I am exempt from ELDT because I've previously held a CDL or if I have to take it because I let the CDL go. I am in Pennsylvania. Also, how do I prove I previously held a CDL?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Some states will reinstate the CDL if you provide a new DOT physical. I don't know if PA is one of those states.
    Go the the DMV and say you want to reinstate your CDL.
    Edit: take a copy of fresh DOT physical with you to the DMV.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2023
    Metalicious and tscottme Thank this.
  4. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Ask your state Dept of Motor Vehicle or Driver License office. Don't give them a story. Say something like I had a CDL until Date#1 and what do I have to do now to reinstate it or make it valid now? 40 guesses are not going to help. The answer from your state is the answer.

lual, Bean Jr. and Chinatown Thank this.
  5. Metalicious

Metalicious Road Train Member

Sep 27, 2015
    What was the goal of the ELDT anyway, just a money grab for someone? It didn't seem to help anybody who just got their CDL that I have seen.

6. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    FMCSA’s Entry Level Driver Training (ELDT) regulations set the baseline for training requirements for entry-level drivers. This applies to those seeking to:

• Obtain a Class A or Class B CDL for the first time;
    • Upgrade an existing Class B CDL to a Class A CDL; or
    • Obtain a school bus (S), passenger (P), or hazardous materials (H) endorsement for the first time.
    The ELDT regulations are not retroactive; individuals who were issued a CDL or an S, P, or H endorsement prior to February 7, 2022 are not required to complete training for the respective CDL or endorsement.

Entry-Level Driver Training (ELDT) | FMCSA

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.