Do I need school?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by erubombadil, Apr 14, 2021.

1. Patriot_Bearing_Supply

Patriot_Bearing_Supply Bobtail Member

Sep 25, 2019
    Cleveland Ohio area
    You can get a CDL without going through a school. I did. However nobody credible will hire you (today). I've had a CDL since 1994, but since I don't have any recent OTR experience, I would have to go back through school. I looked into it about 8 - 9 years ago. It wasn't worth dropping thousands just to get a job for me. Ironically, I could have a tractor, my own authority, and run loads no problem. The tractor in my profile I had insured as a private carrier, it wouldn't have been much more to set it up for hire.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    You don't have to go back through school with some companies.
    Dutch Maid Logistics in Willard, Ohio probably hire you and put you with another driver just long enough to bring you up to date, then you can go solo or if you prefer, can team.
    [​IMG]

4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Don't buy a truck yet; insurance will be outrageous. Be a company driver for at least a year, then check on insurance prices.

5. Patriot_Bearing_Supply

Patriot_Bearing_Supply Bobtail Member

Sep 25, 2019
    Cleveland Ohio area
    I had the truck and insurance. The difference is, from being in business and being insured commercially for years, and going into it new. I've had operating authority and run smaller trucks for years. I'm going to say the insurance for a tractor and trailer was maybe 2-1/2 times what it was for a 26k straight truck (which was $1200 a year, it's dropped way down). I decided to go back down under CDL, and turned a small profit on the tractor to boot. Mostly what I wanted the tractor for was the sleeper. It's a crap shoot when I travel for business if I will get a quiet room to sleep or not.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  6. erubombadil

erubombadil Bobtail Member

Apr 14, 2021
    Hello again!
    I do have a quick question for you... I am in the process of filling out applications now for the companies that were recommended to me. Being as I am brand new with no trucking experience, is there anything I can do to make my application stand out to those reviewing it? Any extra certifications or anything like that I should go ahead and get that would make my application more desirable? I am extremely interested in getting started and I want to give myself the best possible chance for landing a job. Thank you so much for all of your help!

7. Jenn72

Jenn72 Medium Load Member

Jun 7, 2019
    Hi, if you fill it out today (Sunday), you will probably get a call back tomorrow by noon from a recruiter. If not, I would call the recruiting office early afternoon and say you were following up with an application you submitted. The recruiter will pull it up w/ you on the phone usually.

You can go ahead and get your CDL permit. If your driving record is good, and you can account for you previous work history you will be good to go.

If unemployed during anytime make sure you account for it. Self employed they will have you submit tax returns & accounting for it. (I owned a daycare center before I started trucking. I had to submit to them my "invoices & expenditures" that showed them I actually had a legitimate business)

8. erubombadil

erubombadil Bobtail Member

Apr 14, 2021
    Great! Thank you so much for the info. I'll make sure I have all of my work history dates in order before I submit my applications. Thanks again for all of the help!

Jenn72 Thanks this.
  9. Xcis

Xcis Medium Load Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Bridgeport, Pa
    Jenn72. If you are taking the written tests for your permit, you require general knowledge.
    . I suggest you also include air brakes. If you can afford it, hazmat would be a plus that gives you a slight advantage over those without it.
    Doubles and triples is hardly worth it.
    s

10. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Since you’re in Florida. BillyBob’s Alligator Eatery will by far make you the best offer. Don’t take it. BillyBob’s drivers disappear. They don’t quit. Ain’t fired. Just disappear. Into thin air. Nobody knows?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.