Do i need to get a cb?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by jgreene85, Mar 25, 2013.

1. JIMROY

JIMROY Medium Load Member

Feb 15, 2013
    ESCONDIDO CALIFORNIA
    saddle tramp thats what you can get me for christmas lol i just have my free one from state farm insurance lol

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ubu

Ubu Road Train Member

Aug 25, 2012
    Rumored to be somewhere
    He is a class act.

I don’t think I have ever seen a negative post by him, and I now have him as a friend. :biggrin_255:

4. Saddletramp1200

Saddletramp1200 Road Train Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Houston Texas,USA
    I got a HAM radio also. Took a week to learn, three weeks to pass my test, cost 11.00. It's a nice thing to have.

5. JIMROY

Feb 15, 2013
    ESCONDIDO CALIFORNIA
    easy guys i will have to buy a bigger santa hat , but thanks.....

6. JIMROY

Feb 15, 2013
    ESCONDIDO CALIFORNIA
    i was a submarine radioman in the navy. but most of what i learned is long obsolete now... hell they don't even have radiomen anymore....

7. Ubu

Ubu Road Train Member

Aug 25, 2012
    Rumored to be somewhere
    A friend of mine from high school went into subs. I can’t image being cooped up like that for months on end. I spend most of my time in a tank which feels a bit like a sub when you are down in the turret but I could get out and walk around when I wanted to.

I know that the Navy and Coast Guard no longer use Morse code but they must still have radiomen. Of all the services the Navy is probably the most advance when it comes to radio communications and electronics in general.

8. JIMROY

Feb 15, 2013
    ESCONDIDO CALIFORNIA

i guess now its a combo of et and it, they do it all via email from what i have been told....

9. bp88

bp88 Light Load Member

Apr 20, 2013
    Orange County, CA
    JIMROY, I hear sub crews drink a TON of coffee during each patrol. Is this true?

edit - not literally a ton. ;)

10. JIMROY

Feb 15, 2013
    ESCONDIDO CALIFORNIA
    yes its true, but in my day it was tasters choice instant in 1 lb. Bags , lord knows how many cases of that stuff we hucked down the hatch. The riggers would lower pallets of dry stores to the deck with a crane and we would form a human chain passing one box or case at a time to the next guy down the hatch to the dry store storage area.... We would have cases of #10 cans of canned food on the decks and thats what you walked on instead of the deck until it was used up.... You stored stuff in every nook and cranny you could stuff something into.... And yes was probably more than a ton.... But i never weighed it... 130 guys out for 90 to 120 days at a time sometimes longer...lot of grub and coffee. The bug juice we drank( like kool aid) also doubled as drano to clean drain pipes lol btw , we should stop hijacking this thread hahaha

Drac1985 Thanks this.
  11. Saddletramp1200

Saddletramp1200 Road Train Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Houston Texas,USA
    I call the receiver, tell them I am embarrassed but don't know how to get there. My truck is 13' tall X 70' long, They switch me to the "shop" always. I always get there. And make them feel good for helping me. It's a good thing.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.