Do i need to get a cb?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by jgreene85, Mar 25, 2013.

1. HotH2o

HotH2o Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2012
    Bunyan Springs, Colorado
    Too many whiners on the CB. Too much drama. Too many #### talkers and way too many ex navy seals. I now know where all the navy seals go when they leave the service!! No CB in my truck and like the previous poster stated...you couldn't pay me to put one in.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pmracing

Pmracing Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Arlington Heights, IL
    I could but I won't.

But mine has saved me mucho time and headaches! Who you gonna call on that 2013 cell phone to get that all that info? That's right. Google maps real time traffic!

Did I just win and lose my own debate? Hehehehee

Mikeeee

Drifter42 and ethos Thank this.
  4. Drifter42

Drifter42 Hopper Heartache

Dec 4, 2011
    Seymour IN
    I vote win

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

5. Giggles the Original

Giggles the Original Road Train Member

the story goes, that having them at that angle help reduce interference from the stack.....besides they look cool that way.....IMO...look at my pic below if you dont believe me...LOL

6. bluerider

bluerider Light Load Member

May 16, 2012
    Washington, DC
    Fun to harass the guard? lol! I'm reconsidering my policy.

7. ethos

ethos Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Houston
    I have to ask, why not just turn it off when the talk gets too bad. Mine has saved me numerous times. But when the talk gets bad I turn it off for a few miles then turn it back on later.

8. TruckDuo

TruckDuo Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    We don't have one. Never have had a need for it. My trainer had one, the few times he turned it on.... it was guys swearing at each other.

Tell the places that require one you don't have one then give them your cell number.

Always remember to do a visual inspection of your truck when you stop for anything. That way you spot something that might be wrong. Most of us work for companies with newer equipment. This helps reduce the risk. All of this isn't perfect but having a CB isn't either. Hundreds of millions of people drive cars without a CB and survive. If something is wrong with your truck someone will honk at you or you'll feel or hear it. If you do have one and something is wrong your truck, you won't hear it on the CB because 99.9% of the time you'll have it off.

Not to offend fans of CBs but its becoming an obsolete tool in our industry.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2013
    HotH2o Thanks this.
  9. shredfit1

shredfit1 Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2008
    MN
    Listen, Get a CB .... ASAP when your driving solo... and if your stupid trainer doesn't have one.. school him on this! I don't know how many times I've seen idiots driving down the road with back doors open, smoking brakes, shredded tires, lights not working.. etc etc. Trying to give them a heads up on channel 19 and there is no answer, not a peep. So, I pass them shaking my head and watch them oblivious to dangers present... THESE are your typical steering wheel holders. And there are plenty of them out there.

10. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    I drove in the late 70's and early 80's, when CB was ubiquitous. It was an essential tool for knowing where there was a "Kojak with a Kodak" or setting up convoys to improve fuel mileage. Even then I could only understand a fraction of what was being said due to interference and incomprehensible accents. Getting back into the business today I find that most of the time the CB is silent, when someone is talking I can understand about 30% of what they say, of the balance of that 95% is useless and 50% is foul. In the last eight months I've been to a total of three shippers/receivers that want you to monitor the CB to know when your door is open, and all of them were quick to simply take our cell phone number and call us when our door is ready.

Once in a blue moon I think a CB would be a very helpful tool. But in today's world of Qualcomm and cell phones the run of the mill needs of the CB of old simply aren't there. Might be nice to have "just in case", but I personally wouldn't want to monitor the CB 24/7.

11. Pmracing

Pmracing Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Arlington Heights, IL
    I tried telling a driver he just passed the entrance to the factory. It is the only entrance on that street that a truck can go to.

I also tried telling him that just past that entrance is was a weight restricted, and heavily policed, section of road!

But no response.

Mikeeee

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.