Do i need to get a cb?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by jgreene85, Mar 25, 2013.

1. bp88

bp88 Light Load Member

Apr 20, 2013
    Orange County, CA
    Wow, I couldn't imagine being lost at sea without any way of knowing where you are. Time to figure out how to read an octant. hahaha

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cowpie1

Cowpie1 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    True, but the CB is but one tool in the tool chest. The apps have their place, the RM atlas has its place, a laptop with broadband has its place, a good GPS has its place. They all compliment each other in the right hands. I am soooo glad it isn't the "good 'ol days" of trucking anymore. I dearly love technology, and I still use the CB. A trusty well tuned Galaxy DX 929. Best CB I have ever had. 1.1 on the Radio Shack SWR meter for the antennas. No amp, and it will do just fine for up to 10 miles unless the idiots have the channel choked up.

JIMROY Thanks this.
  4. JIMROY

JIMROY Medium Load Member

Feb 15, 2013
    ESCONDIDO CALIFORNIA
    never had a day where i was lost, even when i was lost i knew right where i was lol, sittin on the bridge looking at charts. hahaha , actually i keep a constant update on the charts manually along with using loran and gps and radar....

5. Pmracing

Pmracing Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Arlington Heights, IL
    I'd rather use a sextant!

Mikeeee

6. JIMROY

Feb 15, 2013
    ESCONDIDO CALIFORNIA
    use that to when i am not in a fog bank lol

7. Ubu

Ubu Road Train Member

Aug 25, 2012
    Rumored to be somewhere
    Don’t believe everything you read, especially when it comes to CB stuff. The manufacture can label them anything they want it doesn’t make is so. Almost all CB advertising is a bunch of nonsense but people seem to keep buying into it.

I’ve worked as an electronic technician on radios both in the service and in civilian life. The wavelength of a frequency is a matter of physics (wavelength = speed of light/ frequency) and no CB manufacture can change that. They wind a 34 foot wire around a 3’ long form and try to calm it is a full wave length antenna just to make it sound better and things do not work that way.

If the antennas are working well for you great, I have seen loaded antennas that do perform well for their size. I can assure you it is not because they are “full wave”, that is just advertising nonsense.

JIMROY Thanks this.
  8. JIMROY

Feb 15, 2013
    ESCONDIDO CALIFORNIA
    rawjo, I stand corrected my head is both bowed and bloody. lol, i know this much with my 25 watt radio and my "full wave" 4' whips i can talk to trucks 200 miles in front of me..... it works great at 1-1.1 swr. thanks for the info

Ubu Thanks this.
  9. bp88

bp88 Light Load Member

Apr 20, 2013
    Orange County, CA
    Too bad more people can't be like JIMROY; admirable personality.

JIMROY and Ubu Thank this.
  10. Saddletramp1200

Saddletramp1200 Road Train Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Houston Texas,USA
    I got one of those fancy Rand Mc Nally trucker maps. Laminated an all. I shave miles, with a map. More in my pocket.

11. Pmracing

Pmracing Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Arlington Heights, IL
    How much does this Miles character pay for a shave? heheheee

Mikeeee

truckon Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.