Do laptops only work on APUs?

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by caliro, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Mine does. It's about all my inverter is good for.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MidWest_MacDaddy

MidWest_MacDaddy Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    Seeing a pattern here... ;-)

4. 88228822

88228822 Heavy Load Member

Sep 26, 2018
    The laptop has it's own battery so I typically charge it with inverter while the engine is running and run it on battery when the engine is off.

5. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I always idle. I always just charge the laptop. Then use it. Have a small inverter. Also a couple other things I charge with the inverter like a dustbuster. Also have a small bug zapper light plugged into the inverter. My laptop is a new MacBook Air. Before that an older Mac laptop. Never any problem charging off my inverter. Only problem I have had with Mac is becoming obsolete.

6. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    The reason you need a inverter is because the chargers are above the 12-14 volts the truck produces. Many batteries are 18 volts and above and need above their output voltage to charge.

7. MidWest_MacDaddy

MidWest_MacDaddy Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    It’s been awhile since I had this discussion but don’t they still charge, just slower?

They actually make adapters to charge a laptop via the vehicles 12v power ports... so I’m thinking it’s not an issue of “need”.

Plus the inverter is used to invert the power supply from DC (vehicle) to AC (house) which is how laptops are normally powered.

Well, actually they take the AC supply from a household outlet and then converts it to DC as the laptop (via a battery) actually runs on DC power.

So in a truck environment one is actually taking an inverter for the DC truck power supply converting it to AC so the laptop’s power brick can then convert it back to DC so the laptop battery can utilize it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.