Do not depend on Apple Care

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by WesternPlains, Jul 2, 2022.

1. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    My phone got run over by a truck. This is an iPhone 13 Max (biggest best). Tried repair of face. He didn’t want to do it. Thought it was damaged inside. So opted to get a new phone from apple through apple care. Which I pay for. No way!
    The apple care app on my iPad. When putting in for deposit. In case I don’t return the damaged phone. Rejected payment on three cards. Then apple care rep was awful. Last I heard from them. They were sending me emails the next day. Saying they’re trying to call my backup number and no answer.
    I got it done through technical support. After the goofy computer that kept insisting I was calling about a new battery transferred me there. Technical support was great. But apple care was only looking for excuses to do nothing. And their computer put out a fraud alert on my cards.
    Worse…. Fed ex decided to not deliver. Excuse used was business closed. At least fed ex’s computer comprehends “########!” . Now I’m not getting it till Tuesday. When Friday delivery guaranteed.
    I am so pissed. I’ve considered telling my office to refuse to sign for it on Tuesday. I’m considering selling the new iPhone on eBay when I get home. I am not a happy camper.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. WesternPlains

Sep 1, 2017
    I got a tracfone to get by. But had to get something to put my SIM card in. Best Buy didn’t have any s22’s of any type in any store in Denver. Only thing they had was an S21. I took it.

4. WesternPlains

Sep 1, 2017
    Do have to admit. It’s a tough phone. Along with the protector cover.
    5E89642D-6AEC-4277-A56A-4D98F2CECE4A.jpeg

5. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Apple can be a pain sometimes. So far they have taken good care of me. Back last fall a friend dropped her new iPhone about 75 feet and it stopped working. They did not attempt what you did. They had a backup phone and used it while they waited on Apple to replace the broken phone. I can't remember if they went through the local Apple Store or used customer support.

Just as it is important to have a backup CB radio I think it is important to have a backup smartphone. My backup phone is a Samsung that is unlocked and will work on all networks. I just have to insert the sim card and report the IMEI change to my carrier. Depending on where you are this can be done in 15 minutes or less. I use Verizon and can do this myself on their website.

6. JSanborn103

JSanborn103 Medium Load Member

Jan 20, 2021
    Apple does anything to rip people off. I’m getting a samsung next time, samsung is far ahead of them in technology anyway. now they don’t even include charging and plugs with new phones. I paid 250$ for their noise canceling earbuds (which don’t cancel noise at all), they stopped working in a month under warranty and they would only give me a used pair.

7. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    You bought cr-apple. Nough said.

8. Arctic_fox

Arctic_fox Experienced mx13 execrator

Sep 16, 2016
    This is what you get for buying icrap. I learned my lesson in the oil field. A lot of stuff out there at the time you needed a crapple to scan and do paperwork. Problem is i kept having screens crack just getting out of my warm truck into -20F weather or shorting out from dust and dirt. Apple kept telling me to #### off.

Switched to android and samsung. Never had a single problem since that they didnt fix instantly. And even those issues were stupidly rare. Got a s20 ultra that had the screen crap out after a year. They sent me an entire new phone no questions asked beyond making sure i didnt get it wet as an example.

9. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I switched to iOS devices several years ago. My primary phone is an iPhone 8 and I use my iPad a lot. Apple took care of me last year when I got that piece of crap iPhone 8 off eBay. I don't know how I would feel about iOS devices if I was still an active driver. I am a bit pissed at Apple because they would not allow me to enroll this new replacement iPhone 8 in Apple care. I just know my iPhone runs my Dexcom CGM app fantastically and the battery holds a charge for a long time. If I were to change back to Android I would not buy anything but Samsung. However, I don't see myself changing back any time soon.

10. WesternPlains

Sep 1, 2017
    I did have a backup phone. It was a de-googled android. I used to use it when on home time. No tracking, some privacy. Found out through this. They eliminated 3g. That phone won’t work anymore.

11. WesternPlains

Sep 1, 2017
    I just sent the replacement phone straight back. The statement to apple was worth more than the money.
    The fraud alert kept chasing me. Nothing high dollar online with my main card. Finally had it out with that one today.
    This is disgusting!
    I decided to get a Flip3. They’ve knocked down the price. Flip4 coming. Doesn’t seem like much of an improvement. My old Razr was the only cell phone I ever loved. Hope this one I like as much.
    Edit: One reviewer said: This is a phone for someone that doesn’t want to stare at the screen all day. ..He’s right. I hope I love it. Never did want to put my 13promax in my pocket. Too big. Which is a big factor why it got damaged. …Would have waited on the razr4. Will cost me a good $400+ more. I’ve wasted too much money already. Got 256/16 for $899

Last edited: Jul 9, 2022
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.