Do not understand the Blue lights inside windshield?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by defencerulez, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Red light allows your eyes to adjust to the darkness faster than any other color.

Feedman and Oldironfan Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Red light doesn't destroy your night vision like white light, unless it is really bright. That's what you see in submarine/airplane war movies.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  4. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    I thought the military used Green lights on the interior for night operations?
    Every old freightliner was made with Green dimmable dash lights, and Green floor lights? I do believe there was a reason for this.
    Maybe less stress on the eyes?

5. okiedokie

okiedokie Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET
  6. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I have never ever seen a factory FL with green lights.

I've been working with my wife's doctors and they seem to think that red is better, it seems with the fact that the military and other organizations also use red in dark rooms seem to have something to do with this.

Green that comes from night vision (Image intensifiers) is produced by the camera tube so they use green lighting to keep it consistent for the eyes.

7. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    Personally I can not stand anything other than green interior light in the wee hours. Red, blue both tick me off.
    The common red light light gauges now perturb me very much also.

My 2005 Columbia had green foot well lights. Not sure if factory but they did match the gauges.

8. DougA

DougA Road Train Member

Dec 16, 2013
    Retired,In my shop in Md.
    Back in the old days,early 70's,when CB's first became popular in trucks,there was an informal trucking radio group called Oscar Myer Weeners,or some thing like that. They had a light in the center of there dash,and if you were a member,and saw another driver going the other way at night,with his light on,they would go to their linear powered secret sideband channel,and talk for hundreds of miles. We just didn't have much to do back then. They just faded out after a while. True story,and no,I wasn't a weener.

Eldiablo, Feedman and Oldironfan Thank this.
  9. S M D

S M D Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2012
    sacramento ca
    These lights?
    Blue is bright as heck. Hard to see the road lol

Attached Files:

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  10. Meteorgray

Meteorgray Heavy Load Member

Jan 1, 2016
    Trying to see better by choosing another color other than white for in-cab lighting is not very productive for a driver operating on the road. Even though certain in-cab colors might help preserve night vision if not too bright under ideal darkened-environment conditions, driving isn't one of them. Night-adapted eyes lose that feature as soon as the headlights of another vehicle hit them, such as seeing them through the windshield or in the mirror. This is especially true when those vehicle lights are blue-tinted and extra-bright LEDs or HIDs that are throwing walls of light all over the place.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.