Do truckers use the CB anymore?

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by jmarc77, May 11, 2022.

1. drivingmissdaisy

drivingmissdaisy Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2019
    You're in luck. CB is going FM! Interference will be just about eliminated.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. The Crossword Trucker

The Crossword Trucker Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015

This is only going to further fragment the user group.
    Things are going to get even quieter out there

4. Timin770

Timin770 Road Train Member

May 27, 2011
    Canton, GA
    I honestly don't hear anybody on FM. If a viable FM trucker channel is introduced, I'm all ears. There are pros and cons for both AM and FM.

5. Dennixx

Dennixx Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2010
    twin cities
    We used to have radios in all our trucks but when they get turned in they pull em and never hook em up in the new ones unless someone complains..usually only me.

If I run an overnight or layover trip I have a portable. I connect it up to factory power and antenna. I relied on one last week as I came back from IN and traffic was backed up in WI for 5 miles. Guy says get off on the 89 and run the 2 lane. I did and saved 900 clutch engagements..lol
    Got on right at the end of construction zone...perfect.
    Don't know that I gained or lost time but kept moving and stayed entertained going thru the Dells.

That whole Waze or google argument is so lame..a c.b. is instantaneous info w/o finger diddling a phone. Interpersonal communication is a lost art.

Besides you can grab one w an antenna/mount for 70 or 80 bucks. Dirt cheap if it saves you just once.

Back in the day all highway patrol had a cb that monitored 9 but most ran 19 to counter the cat and mouse game we played w them.
    May be the cheapest insurance out there.

6. jmarc77

jmarc77 Light Load Member

Sep 17, 2021
    How will this work? I assume a new radio and antenna will be required to broadcast on FM. How much wattage will they allow on FM? I wonder if people will abandon AM? Or never bother switching to FM? Very interesting though.

7. drivingmissdaisy

Jun 10, 2019
    No new hardware needed other than a CB capable of FM. The frequency of the signal isn't changing and that's all the antenna cares about. Wattage won't change, 4 watts max legal.

I can't predict the future but I think the more people who switch and report back positive results the more people will switch.

I had ordered a president CB with FM and it came in while I was in the hospital recovering from being shot at work. I haven't been able to try it yet as I am not cleared to return to work and won't be for several more weeks.

8. The Crossword Trucker

Feb 21, 2015

Wait what?
    Was there a thread about this and I missed it?
    If you are ready to talk about it , I kinda have got to hear the story on this one.

9. drivingmissdaisy

Jun 10, 2019
    I didn't make a thread about it. Yea, I was shot 6 times in an armed robbery while I was at work walking my dog looking for my trailer. I've been down over 2 months and have months left to recover.

10. The Crossword Trucker

Feb 21, 2015
    Wow

I sure hope they caught that ####### that did that to you

11. drivingmissdaisy

Jun 10, 2019
    15 minutes later he was in handcuffs.

From what I know, he was charged with assault, assault with a deadly weapon and attempted first degree murder.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.