Do you carry?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by zipsayain, Jun 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Libertarian500

Libertarian500 Light Load Member

Jun 24, 2007
    Utah, for now
    Good question. The search feature on the FMCSA site isn't working today. Since you don't leave the state, though, I don't think these rules apply to you. Only your state's rules will apply. Here in Utah, for instance, there is no prohibition against carrying a firearm in your truck unless you are on restricted property (government/FAA) where it is specifically posted. Even then, they have to search your rig to find it...

The regulation I talked about isn't all that new. It's been around for a couple/three years already.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lucky142

Lucky142 <strong>"Give A Hoot"</strong>

Jun 19, 2007
    Spokane, WA - USA
    Yes, the criminals can carry all the protection they need. Isn't it crazy that someone who lives life by the rules and gets in a pinch where deadly force is needed can go to jail, where a criminal will get a slap on the wrist and turned lose on society again?

If my gun is responsible for killing, then my pencil is responsible for misspelled words.

I think we should disallow protection for all of our Representatives. Why pay people to carry fire arms to protect them when we are not allowed to protect ourselves? Save money, fire the rent a cops.:biggrin_25523:

mitmaks Thanks this.
  4. darkstaff

darkstaff Bobtail Member

Jul 6, 2007
    West central VA
    I would like to add my two cents here.

I carry in my rig, one standard straight claw hammer. I use it to "thump" my tires on my pre and post trips, and when I do a walk around on my truck any time in between.

It has never been looked at twice by DOT or any of the companies I have driven for.

If it would ever be called into service, I pity whomever it contacts. I don't really think it would matter which end got used, the hammer side or the claw side. Ouch, in either case.

It's also useful for tapping on the old brake drums in freezing conditions, or for "assisting" stuck tandem pins.

All around a very useful tool and a very effective means of protection if necessary!

I carry a high quality Estwing myself.

Stick

(I would of course, if ever made "legal", carry my wonderful new Springfield Armory XD-40. Carries 13 with two extra 12 round clips! I am of course a law abiding card carrying member of the NRA, and #### proud of it!)

5. camo

camo Light Load Member

Mar 15, 2007
    Florida
    Read my lips."I do not carry a Taurus model 689 .357 magnum with a 4"barrel ,loaded with hollowpoint bullets in my truck".

6. Gas man

Gas man Bobtail Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Phoenix Az
    Libertarian500
    Thanks for the help,i'll take a look at the FMCSR
    website and see what i can find.

7. BobC

BobC Medium Load Member

Jul 8, 2007
    Cincinnati, slOhio
    I'm not aware of any FMCSA rules saying a gun is not allowed in a CMV. I'm not the last word so you need to check it out. I can't say I've even heard of pending legislation that stops you from carrying in CMV.

Regardless of the FMCSA's rules, you need to be concerned more about all the little municipalities you run through. Everyone of them has a different set of rules for their area & when you're in that area..you too.

Canada is particularly fond of their "no gun" rules. Used to be you could stop at the last truckstop before the border & lock your piece in a rental locker.

I would say that most cops aren't going to give you any trouble unless you're being an idiot with the piece. This doesn't mean you'll get a free pass with every cop.

When I get stopped, I play nice with the officer. Before anything else happens, I make sure my hands are in plain sight & make him or her aware that I am carrying. Then I wait for him/her to make the next move.

Usually the officer will ask where it is & sometimes will ask me to step out & let them get it & make it safe. I have no problem with that & grant permission to step in.

He/she makes it safe either by unloading it or just keeping it in their possesion for the duration of the stop. Sometimes I'm made to unload it & prove it's safe..while their hand is on their unlocked piece. Either way is ok by me.

I believe being upfront lessens the stress level for the officer & allows everything to proceed on a lower level of defensiveness.

Doing it my way does put you in jeapordy of coming across the wrong officer. Like I said, most cops won't give you any trouble but there's always going to be THAT ONE.

Best of luck to anyone that takes the responsibility of protecting yourself by firearm in a CMV.

8. Libertarian500

Libertarian500 Light Load Member

Jun 24, 2007
    Utah, for now
    Good idea on the claw hammer. I have on in my truck, but haven't really given it much thought as a defensive tool (it sits in the side box).

As for the National Republican Apologists, I am not a member of their organization, but am a member of the 2nd Amendment Foundation. If I could legally carry in the truck, I'd have a lot of trouble decided which one to bring and would most likely end up just installing a gun cabinet in the sleeper. lol

iamgillespie Thanks this.
  9. Lucky142

Lucky142 <strong>"Give A Hoot"</strong>

Jun 19, 2007
    Spokane, WA - USA
    Yep, then you would have to have a pet snake or a big dog to watch over your hardware when you were out of the truck.

10. Revvy1337

Revvy1337 Bobtail Member

Jul 11, 2007
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Where is the trunk monkey for truckers????

I was involved with law enforcement and find out that most times the thieves like to target already opened freight in the large yards (when it comes to freight, though). A young punk that I knew tried to hide behind trees and other stuff on the side, run along the fences, other large trailers, etc, all to steal a case of Coca Cola (I think the semi trailer was there to "resupply" all the vending machines in their offices). lol

Eric

11. cutloose

cutloose Light Load Member

Jul 9, 2007
    Carry Wasp Spray and if the matters seems real bad, use your lighter with it.... :biggrin_25525: Of course dont use it if its suome guy pand handling @ the pumps... But with this wasp spray it will travel a good distance, better 2 keep the intruder far away...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.