Do you carry?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by zipsayain, Jun 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tip

Tip Tipster

Mar 18, 2006
    ON STRIKE
    A stun gun is illegal to carry in some places, at least on rigs. But it's legal to buy those in those same places. However, if a truck driver uses one in self-defense IN the truck, there's no problem, as possession is not an issue, at least not on the truck in that case, but only if......Jesus.

Just don't adopt the mindset that you NEED to carry such a gun around all over the place. You'll go downhill fast. You'll meet many a person who reads those "soldier of fortune" magazines who carries weapons of all kinds, and ammo by the clip. It's as if they're planning a military invasion. They'll then go to a McDonald's and order up plenty of junk food, meaning they'll die of a heart attack long before they die from an assault. As all that junk clogs up their systems, they'll be safe and sound, though, thanks to their arsenals.

Same goes for all the "pro-military" guys who've never been in the military. They, in their size 52 waistlines, will hate the commies yet kill themselves through their own bad eating habits.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. LIL' BIT

LIL' BIT Light Load Member

Nov 13, 2007
    Maryland

Yes, it's legal to buy a stun gun, but not to use it. I have had one for many years, it seems & I carry it everywhere I go. I do not show it off or use it improperly. I've only had to pull it out once, and the person did not see it, as someone came out of a store & was walking past my car, therefore, the man left me alone after that, even though I ignored him, but kept an eye on him. I am in a wheelchair & therefore, when I'm by myself, I have some sort of protection.

4. Tip

Tip Tipster

Mar 18, 2006
    ON STRIKE
    This is what I'm getting at. You THOUGHT this guy was a threat in your mind, but was he really a threat? Maybe he was just looking at you because you were in a wheelchair. Maybe he was thinking he may be able to offer you a hand in some way. Who knows. I seriously doubt he was thinking of mugging you.

We all have to give each other the benefit of the doubt. If I see you coming, Lil, how would you feel if I grabbed my gun and started hunkering down? If I were you, I'd call me an idiot for acting that way. Assuming everyone is a criminal and a threat to little ol' you is not the way to go in the world. You'll go batty thinking like that.

5. LIL' BIT

LIL' BIT Light Load Member

Nov 13, 2007
    Maryland
    :biggrin_25513:You don't know me, leave me alone...I'm not here for trouble. You're up here shooting accusations...LEAVE ME ALONE. PLEASE!!!

6. Tip

Tip Tipster

Mar 18, 2006
    ON STRIKE
    I see. You have to tell the whole story, or we have to start filling in the many blanks in your post.

7. witchwaywest

witchwaywest Medium Load Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Monroe New York
    A while back I was driving on a desolate area in the state of Florida.I was tired and it was late.A young man jumps into my lane,waving his arms for me to stop.I swerved around him,braked onto the the shoulder.He ran up to my cab,claiming that his friends had been in an accident.He asked if I could come back and assist him.Well,I had seen no evidence of an accident driving south,no skid marks,no vehicles off the road.What I did see was a setup for robbing me or stealing the rig.He was too calm.Most people involved in a major accident are very distraught and not thinking too clearly.A setup,proably.I told him I would go down the road and find law enforcement and tell them of the problem.I followed up later on.There was no report of an accident,nor injuries reported at that location.The only injuries would have been mine.Again,when you run into an area that you are not familiar with,ask other truckers for advice.I learned to stay out of certain neighborhoods early on.As far a weapons,I did carry a pistol in the cab for awhile,never used it and got rid of it.Who said trucking isn't fun?Not me.

8. chief

chief Heavy Load Member

Jul 15, 2007
    Flavor Country, NC
    specifically which law prevents carrying a gun in a truck? last time I checked, the 2nd amendment of the US constitution guarantees the right to keep and bear arms (doesn't say anything about guns though, does it?)

a company can make a rule that you can't carry a gun, but doesn't that violate your constitutionally guaranteed rights? even our company orientation guy says it isn't illegal to carry a gun in a truck, just against company policy.

9. Daycabber

Daycabber Light Load Member

Jan 24, 2008
    China Grove, NC
    I am not saying anyone should carry a gun, you especially should not if you don't know when you can and cannot use "deadly force". Just having the gun doesn't guarantee your safety. It could very well put you in a situation where you could be killed. If you are bound by company policy then you are taking a risk of loosing your job. It may even go on DAC why you were fired then getting a new trucking job would be near impossible. I am not sure about the DAC file though.

Here is the fact about "handgun laws". There is no FMCSA law that prevents the carrying of a handgun in a CMV. Gun laws vary state to state. In my state, there are conceal carry classes available that upon successful completion allows one to apply for a conceal carry permit. The class explains exactly how much trouble one can get into by using a gun. Unless your life is on the line you cannot shoot. I have had this class as well as my wife and it is worth taking if you are considering carrying.

In my state if you are issued the conceal carry gun permit it is honored in 30 other states at this time but others are considering honoring it also because of the background checks and training NC requires to obtain it, but even then you have to be careful and know that specific states gun laws. There is a US Code that allows transporting of firearms from one "legal possession state" to another "legal possession state" even if you pass through a state where guns are banned. Now to say the banned states police know this code is another subject. You could possibly be in jail a while before your lawyer proves you were legal. That code says the firearm must be unloaded and locked away separate from the ammunition and inaccessible to the driver. A glove box is not a legal locking area.

It takes several days to gain approval for the permit. In some cases weeks depending on the county one lives. Criminal background and mental background checks at mental health facilities. So it isn't just "OK I'll go buy a permit". It must be approved. Police who run a drivers license number in NC knows immediately if you have the permit and you are required by law to tell the officer if the gun is in the vehicle with you. Police here actually respect the permit because they know you don't have a criminal record instantly. No conceal carry permit holder in NC has ever committed a gun crime since the program started 13 years ago. Unless one has within the past month and I haven't heard about it yet.

Even if you have a conceal carry permit there is a law now called "Contributing to the terror of the public". If you have the permit you must respect those around you. Don't flaunt the thing around like its a tough man statement. If you would do that you shouldn't have it anyway. I am very discreet with mine but I know how to use it if I had to. My only intention is preparedness in an emergency situation to protect my own life or the life of another.

I have been in trucking company orientations where they tell the new hires there is a federal law against guns in the truck. There is no such law. They simply don't want their employees carrying guns and I don't blame them for that.

I had an opportunity to talk with a DOT inspector about this when my small business was audited. If I am the truck owner and run under my own authority it is no different than having the gun in my car or anywhere else. If I hired a driver and wrote a policy allowing a permit holder employee to carry a firearm then they too could legally have it in the truck.

Any place that has a posted sign of no firearms allowed though and you cannot carry in that location. Permit or not. Which is kind of bad because those signs are not obeyed by the criminal. It just means the law abiding person who had a class and a thorough background check ran may not carry on their property. Seems backwards to me:biggrin_2552:.

I am a local driver who only crosses into other states occasionally. I don't break gun laws and don't talk up guns to people. It is a survival tool that I hope never gets used outside of my training and practice shooting I do. Glock 357sig model G-31. 15 round magazine.

10. chief

chief Heavy Load Member

Jul 15, 2007
    Flavor Country, NC
    I think most people just assume that it's illegal to carry a gun - ANYWHERE. and we all know how bad guns are - the TV has been reminding us for years. carrying an UNloaded gun? could there be anything more pointless?

11. Lucky142

Lucky142 <strong>"Give A Hoot"</strong>

Jun 19, 2007
    Spokane, WA - USA
    Most people assume a lot of things that just are not so! That is part of the reason we have lost so much freedom in this country. Assume: when you assume you make an ### - u - me!

Never assume. Always get the facts.

A License to carry is a License to carry. If it is Federal, there is no problem. If it is local, you may not carry it into a jurisdiction that does not allow guns. You can never carry across an international boarder; i.e. Canada.:biggrin_25524::biggrin_2552: Common sense rules!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.