Do you double clutch?

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by YukonTrucker, Dec 11, 2007.

Do you double clutch?

1. *

Yes

27.8%
  2. *

No

72.7%
  1. canuck in da truck

canuck in da truck Road Train Member

Aug 6, 2010
    western pa
    almost always i float--did drive an older volvo that you couldnt double clutch--volvo tranny--had to single clutch or it was very hard on tranny----as a mech i know that double clutching is supposedly better clutch life--but if you float properly i really dont see the difference---on the other hand i have seen lots of double clutchers burn out their clutch brake as they nail pedal to the floor

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. davenjeip

davenjeip Medium Load Member

Dec 20, 2009
    Port Charlotte, Fl
    I usually float. However, I do tap the clutch to pop it out of gear on a downshift for no reason other than that one of the trucks I used to drive required it and it just became a habit.

I have been double clutching lately, just because my recent experience has not been more than some driving tests and it's been a few years since I've had to shift. Figure that it's better to be as gentle on the tranny as possible, until I get the feel for it again.

As a side note, I've heard the same thing as pretty much everyone about how you always need to double clutch on any sort of driving test. But, I recently took a very odd pre-employment driving test and one of the reasons I was failed is because I didn't float. I'd recommend asking any tester what they want to see, just in case they are looking for something other than what we expect.

4. melpromud

melpromud Medium Load Member

Jan 29, 2010
    camden ny
    Cant see how double clutching is better for the clutch. Every time you use the clutch it slips ever so slightly as it engauges. To me that would cause a slight bit of wear. Very minimal but still wear. If you float their should be no wear at all right? I once had a disagreement with a ex boss that floating hurt the tranns. So I called the Eaton Fuller tech line and talked to them. They told me as long as the shift was smooth the trans didnt know the differance. They did not recomend double clutching or floating, just smooth shifting any way you could do it. How ever they did tell me they were tought to double clutch and the tech said he didnt know how to float. Ive floated for nearly 2 million miles and never had any trans problems.

5. canuck in da truck

canuck in da truck Road Train Member

Aug 6, 2010
    western pa
    using the clutch is supposed to shake shock loads out when clutching--"supposedly"--but then i have seen people put major stress on clutch by double clutching--i am way to old to double clutch--i dont get that many cycles out of my knee each day

6. JW430

JW430 Medium Load Member

May 23, 2009
    Rocklin, CA
    I was taught to float up and clutch out/float in on downshifts. Still do it that way, just feels right.

7. RenegadeTrucker

RenegadeTrucker Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Montana
    Ever since I took my first ride in a 94 KW W900L with a 460 Cummins and a 13 speed I have been rollin and scratchin floating gears. I learned on that truck and a 98 with a 18 and a detroit that I took my driving test in.

I then wound up in a T2000 with a ISX 525 and a 18 speed, and then both of the W9's that I owned had 18 speeds and big hp cats, (a 550 and 600)

The only one I had any transmission issues with was my 2000 W9, I wound up having the tranny rebuilt at 775,000 miles, I bought the truck at 485,000. Before I bought it it belonged to a company that pulled doubles with it, and they were always loaded super heavy. When I had it rebuilt it had a bearing that started to make a lot of noise, and I made the choice to have the whole thing gone through, I probably could have got by for a long time with simply replacing the bearing.

I have never learned to double clutch. I have floated from day 1. 99% of my driving has been on a truck with a 18 speed though, so you dont have a huge margin between the gears, as I am now, I wont buy a truck if it doesnt have an 18 unless I plan to put one in it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.