Do you get bored?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by J Rich, Oct 12, 2018.

1. J Rich

J Rich Medium Load Member

May 28, 2018
    Atlanta Ga
    I'm not one that is content doing the same thing day in and day out. I love a new challenge, and get that out of Trucking. I can't say I have done it all, but I have done more than most. Here's my list in no particular order.
    Concrete mixer front and rear discharge.
    Straight truck flatbed
    Dump Truck Tandem
    Roll off
    Flatbed
    Dry Van
    Walking Floor
    Open Top
    Ramp Deck
    Roll Off Trailer
    Wet Tanker
    Doubles
    Dump Trailer framed and frameless
    Heavy Equipment

All of this I have done well at if not master it. Except for the heavy equipment I'm ok at, but don't have the seat time to call myself an Operator.

So, I've been at this company for a year now, and I'm getting bored. The company is good, pay is good, home every night, no weekends, equipment is good, freedom is good. I go to several places in Ga, Al, and Tn. I pretty much pull in to a scrap yard, get loaded, leave, take the load to which ever mill it's going to, dump out, and on to the next place or home.

Is it time for a new challenge? Do I just need to suck it up? I do try changing my route a bit to spice it up, but still. I'm not ready to quit. I not ready for OTR. I like hauling equipment, but that can be seasonal, away from home, and hold a shovel when you're not driving.

One day when the kids are out of school which is not far away. I think I'd like to get into heavy haul or work for a Race team which would require playing another role once you get to the track.

So, what say you? Do you handle the monotony of Trucking well?

Lepton1 and Oldironfan Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Join the Merchant Marines.
    Join the French Foreign Legion.
    Tell the wife you found a great job in the Philippines and you'll send for her later.
    [​IMG] upload_2018-10-12_18-7-5.jpeg [​IMG]

Lepton1, fargonaz, TankerP and 10 others Thank this.
  4. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    From a prospective employers point of view, you can’t keep steady employment. As to being a master of skills for the jobs listed. That would be no. It has been tested and proven that on average to gain proficiency in a skill set, it takes about 10,000 hours. While some aspects could be considered as compatible from one work skill set to another, others are not as transferable. The preceding is just an opinion, and really has no bearing on you.

86scotty, JReding, J Rich and 4 others Thank this.
  5. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    I've been driving since 08. Yes I get bored. And I hate parking for more than 10 hours.
    I do miss laboring for up to 70 hours per week. Way more rewarding.

To be honest I'm fed up with the limit we can work driving. When paid by the mile. It's a pitiful existence.
    And sick of not ever getting paid for detention, or breakdown, or layover.

J Rich, mitmaks and Muddydog79 Thank this.
  6. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    What's the longest time you ever held a job? What was the shortest? Your answers will tell a lot about whether you're bored or a job hopper.

J Rich, 86scotty, JReding and 2 others Thank this.
  7. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    Sure I do. I like it.

I like a well paying job where all I have to do is show up on time and deliver on time.
    With options in between.
    This is the easiest job I have ever had, as well as the best paying.

Getting stuck in one part of the country for too long is the only thing I don't like.

8. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    I got bored out of my mind after 3 years in a mixer.

Add in the drama from the plant....Fuhget about it.

Distribution doing produce was better. Always fast paced, but a couple of the stores would take FOREVER to unload you, and at 0200 in the morning, that would make me call into question God's purpose for mankind.

Pinballing around, choosing my own loads is the truth, the way, and the life.

By far the most money too.

I'm actually adding a truck, looking for another if the right driver comes along.

But pinballing adds that element of adventure.
    And if you get a little worn, then you stay closer to home for awhile.

J Rich and Sirscrapntruckalot Thank this.
  9. sherlock510

sherlock510 Road Train Member

Jul 26, 2011
    Intercontinental.
    Started only in 2012 and don't have many gaps but yea driving for 8-10 hours a day IS boring. Maybe doing true local would spice it up a bit, but then I'd guess boredom would turn to aggravation because of the "local" obstacles. I made up the boredom of OTR with 2 week international trips and came back to the truck on cloud 9, good times.

They want our job to be boring, anything deemed as entertainment would be labeled a distraction.

J Rich, tommymonza and Chinatown Thank this.
  10. bigjoel

bigjoel Road Train Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Houston, Tx
    Do you get bored?

Yes I do.

sevenmph and J Rich Thank this.
  11. homeskillet

homeskillet Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    I'm at the point in my life where I'd be fine with a dedicated run to the same place, at the same time, for the same money, every day.

I know those jobs exist, but I haven't yet found one I'm willing to jump ship for.

J Rich Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.