Do you have advice for an Elder newbie ?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by quatto, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Tonythetruckerdude

Tonythetruckerdude Crusty Deer Slayer

Dec 8, 2012
    hunting...../ retired
    You guys need to throw about 500 to 800 pieces off at a McDonald's....In 2 hrs or less.. then load up the empty bun trays and go to 2 more stops ..rinse and repeat....thats work.....

Chinatown and Skydivedavec Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. WitchingHour

WitchingHour Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Broomfield, CO
    I agree. Anyone who thinks hauling freight hasn't multitasked for a road building company or worked on a sod farm. But, at the same time, someone who isn't willing to put in some work and break a sweat has no place pulling open decks of any sort... no such thing as drop and hook, no touch cargo there. Granted, there are plenty of van drivers who put in some hard work, but when you see one of these 'Tubmaster T' sorts, about as wide as three of me, with flab flapping around like a broken sail in the wind, you know right away they don't do flatbeds. You know they also don't do tire accounts in a van, but you come to the conclusion a van is what they pull.

Skydivedavec Thanks this.
  4. kwloo

kwloo Medium Load Member

Nov 3, 2011
    eh?
    there is a gentleman that is now retiring from flatbedding and he is over 75.I think he's just going to take life easy pulling a dry van. Throwing the straps has become a chore although there is no shortage of drivers that step up to give him a hand. He started at 65 and I have seen him often at Ankeny, Moline etc. Little slower than he use to be but a joy to be around.

5. quatto

quatto Medium Load Member

Mar 9, 2013
    The Bluest State
    I missed that. But then, I missed the toilet this morning, too. ( quatto pokes his chest and chin out, spits, and adjusts his suspenders defiantly ) I'm still way cool !

:Driver:
    :Wheelchair:

6. blazer1

blazer1 Light Load Member

Sep 5, 2010
    so. jersey
    I got my CDL at age 58 after the steel mill I worked at for 30 years closed. I now haul food to and from grocery whareouses. Not the most glorious of truck driving jobs but I'm home everynight. Several of my co-workers are 70 years old and older, some have had their CDL for a lifetime, others for just a few years.

quatto Thanks this.
  7. whitebird

whitebird Bobtail Member

Feb 24, 2013
    well I passed the cdl written learners permit test yesterday. since my son is going to train me ( I have to laugh here since I taught him how to drive a car years ago ) I am getting very excited. I have everything packed and ready to get on the truck with him just as soon as he gets routed my way to pick me up. so beware!!! newbie going on the road soon.LOL I just keep telling myself "just keep the thing between the lines shiny side up and you will be ok." and dont drive your son crazy. I am so excited to be starting this new adventure in my life and doing it with my own son is even better.

8. quatto

Mar 9, 2013
    The Bluest State
    Can you throw them accurately? Ok....Ok...bad joke. :biggrin_25523:

9. quatto

Mar 9, 2013
    The Bluest State
    You are my new hero ! Thanks for the inspiration.

10. quatto

Mar 9, 2013
    The Bluest State
    Congratulations ! Where are you and your (cough) instructor headed to? (No, I didn't ask that so I could avoid you ! )

11. whitebird

whitebird Bobtail Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Oh I have no idea , just out there in the big ol' US of A somewhere . wherever the dispatch sends us.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.