Do you have any weapons ?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Atlanta trucker, Apr 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    No, they can't. The extent of their authority to enter your truck is in the enforcement of the regulations. They can look in to see/hear the required audible and visual alarms for low air and see the ABS light to ensure those are working properly. They can look wherever you tell them your triangles, fire extinguisher, and spare fuses are located. If you've logged sleeper time, they can inspect that for proper dimensions, restraints, bedding, etc. While they are looking at those things, anything in "plain view" is fair game. Beyond that, though, you have the exact same protections under the Constitution as you would in your POV on a family vacation. They cannot search the cab without probable cause, a warrant, or your permission.

jammer910Z Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    What is this I keep reading about officers inspecting bedding in the sleeper? What is the "law" on bedding in a truck?

4. Pedigreed Bulldog

May 7, 2011
    How exactly is that question related to the purpose of the stop? If you're attempting to expand the scope of the stop to a potential criminal investigation, can you articulate reasonable suspicion that a crime has been or is being committed?

"...in determining whether police questioning during the course of a traffic stop satisfies Terry's scope requirement, we must consider, as an initial matter, whether the question is related to the initial justification for the stop. If the question is reasonably related to the purpose of the stop, no fourth amendment violation occurs. If the question is not reasonably related to the purpose of the stop, we must consider whether the law enforcement officer had a reasonable, articulable suspicion that would justify the question. If the question is so justified, no fourth amendment violation occurs. In the absence of a reasonable connection to the purpose of the stop or a reasonable, articulable suspicion, we must consider whether, in light of all the circumstances and common sense, the question impermissibly prolonged the detention or changed the fundamental nature of the stop."
    -- llinois Supreme Court, People v Gonzales, 2003

5. IluvCATS

IluvCATS Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    We should boycott weapons. No more weapons. Any kind you can name.

6. Pedigreed Bulldog

May 7, 2011
    §393.76(e)

7. radioshark

radioshark Road Train Member

Nov 19, 2012
    Some of them have thermal cameras

8. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Really they actually have a law on what is appropriate bedding in a truck? No I don't have a "green bible" and if I did I'd skip any sort of law telling what I have to have for bedding.

9. radioshark

radioshark Road Train Member

Nov 19, 2012
    I carry hornet spray. More effective than mace or pepper spray and has a longer range.

10. Buckeye 60

Buckeye 60 Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2018
    I always heard that as long as the curtain is closed they need a Warrent to check the sleeper

11. Pedigreed Bulldog

May 7, 2011
    (e) Equipment. A sleeper berth must be properly equipped for sleeping. Its equipment must include:

(1) Adequate bedclothing and blankets; and

(2) Either:

(i) Springs and a mattress; or

(ii) An innerspring mattress; or

(iii) A cellular rubber or flexible foam mattress at least four inches thick; or

(iv) A mattress filled with a fluid and of sufficient thickness when filled to prevent “bottoming-out” when occupied while the vehicle is in motion.

Lav-25 and Bumper Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.