Do You Need A CB?

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by mike5511, Dec 29, 2016.

1. QuietStorm

QuietStorm Heavy Load Member

Dec 11, 2016
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Western flyer

Western flyer Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Havent turned mine on in 10 years.
    Can't stand to listen too the fools on there anymore.
    I'd rather sit in the right lane and do the speed limit.

RedRover and 88 Alpha Thank this.
  4. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Totally get that now they dont save lives but they can help get around wrecks and construction zones.

It saved me one night when I was pulling a hazmat load. I tried to always run them loads at night.

Well one night had a headlight go out with the open coop coming up. Gave me time to get it right before I went in.

QuietStorm, RedRover and ShooterK2 Thank this.
  5. 88 Alpha

88 Alpha Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 12, 2012
    SouthEast Alabama
    @mike5511 I'm impressed with your ability. You took the time to track down each and every driver of the trucks in that picture, just to ask them if they had a citizen's band radio in their truck immediately prior to the crash.

You did that, right? If not, how did you ascertain with 100% certainty that none of the trucks in that crash had a cb in it?

That meme is a blanket statement: "CB's will prevent this!" That means none of those trucks had cb radios. In all likelihood, at least one of the trucks pictured had a cb in it, yet was still involved in the crash.

1) How would you regulate and enforce this?
    2) Who would the governing body be?

If you could make it mandatory for all trucks to have a cb, you would then have to:

3) Make a regulation the cb must be turned on. (I have one in my truck but it stays off unless I'm at a customer who requires cb communication)

4) Once that regulation is in place, you then must make a regulation that it must stay at a necessary volume in order for the driver to hear it. (I can turn mine on, just "on" so it lights up but not hear the 1st sound)

5) Then you need to make a regulation stating the radio must work properly. (Mine transmits and receives adequately enough, when it's turned on, but it wouldn't take much to disable the transmit/receive)

6) Finally, you would need to make a regulation stating the driver must talk on it. (When I turn mine on at a customer, I can talk on it but feel ZERO need to talk after I leave the customer, thus, the radio is returned to the "off" position)

7) Are you then going to make a regulation stating "you must remain on channel 19?" If not, 2 or more drivers traveling in a loose pack can talk all day (or night) long on a different channel and that has the same effect as not having the cb on in the first place.

I was told many, many years ago, "You drive your truck, I'll drive mine!" That day, I decided to do that very thing. I'm driving my truck and allowing others to freely drive theirs.

Western flyer Thanks this.
  6. Biomagnum

Biomagnum Light Load Member

Jun 7, 2013
    I always have it on with the rf gain all the way up and the squelch just at the threshold. This avoids most of the crap.
    It has saved me from a lot of hassles many times.
    It also is kind of fun to listen to the battles at the truck stop at night.

Ooops, TheDudeAbides, JReding and 2 others Thank this.
  7. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I think that is the recent accident up near Lansing on I-96. They had dash cam footage of that and there is no way people could have reacted on the CB to prevent it from happening. One truck's dash cam showed him sliding far before he hit anything, he was on ice and could not control the vehicle. The is another one of one of the cars they showed a few days later showing people just flying all over the place out of control.

SO when people got a glimpse of what was going on, they slowed down.

By the way this little area is known for being icy, but people still want to do 80 or better.

Ragman54 Thanks this.
  8. RedRover

RedRover Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2016
    Corsicana, TX
    There's an app for that. Check out Trucker's Path. Can also use it to find parking.

Screenshot_2016-12-30-09-17-17.png
    Screenshot_2016-12-30-09-18-00.png

9. KillingTime

KillingTime Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2016
    Rockland, Maine
    It's like Jerry Springer, only the audio version... I'm often mildly amused simply sitting and listening.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
    RedRover Thanks this.
  10. prisonerofthehighway

prisonerofthehighway Light Load Member

Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Rapids, Ia
    While I agree that cb's are needed, being the optimistic pessimist that I am I have to point out something. CB's today are about as worthless as boobs on a boar hog. I justify this by saying that I run from the Midwest to the west coast weekly and I can honestly say that I have made that trip both ways countless times without hearing a peep on the cb. What good is there in having one if the only time any one talks on it is when they ask the two dumbest questions in the world? " Why are we stopped" after they are stopped, and "what lane do we need to be in?" when everyone , including big trucks run the closed lane right up to the accident or whatever scene. Maybe I'm just a senile old fart, but back in the day you could run your whole cough cough 10 hour driving, now 11 I know, time and it flew by just cause you were yacking the entire way. I realize that with a lot of companies going to electronic logs some drivers don't have a choice, but these solar powered truck drivers annoy me. I prefer to run at night as less traffic, less wear and tear on the vehicle especially brakes. I really wish that truckers nowadays if you can even call the majority of them that would realize the fact that a cb can not only save yourself trouble, ie accidents, smokies, weather, etc, but can also help keep you alert and who knows, make a new lifelong friend in the process. As we all know being a trucker is hell on having a social life, so what's wrong with shooting the s*** on the radio, beat down a bunch of miles and stop for a coffee on the way? Well that's my 2 cents for what it's worth, be safe drivers.

Ooops, ShooterK2 and Neverready Thank this.
  11. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    No, don't be one of THOSE drivers either.

I get a kick out of the ones who never have their radio on until they're approaching the backup, and then immediately start hollering to find out which lane they need to be in or if there's a way around when traffic going the other way has been broacasting it for the last 20 miles.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.