Do You Need A CB?

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by mike5511, Dec 29, 2016.

1. Inthedark

Inthedark Light Load Member

Jul 12, 2016
    springfield MO
    I'm a new driver, also a ham radio operator. My trainer only turned on the radio when traffic slowed and backed up. I'm using an Ft-857 to monitor 19, usually on when I'm rolling. I have ordered a connex from Clay's. I look forward to having it, and being able to communicate with my fellow drivers when needed. But will keep it on while rolling, for many reasons that have been mentioned here.

I feel we all have multiple tools to choose from these days to make the job easier. I'll take all the help I can get....

Neverready and rabbiporkchop Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tbdieseltrucking

tbdieseltrucking Light Load Member

Jan 4, 2017
    Stuck in a Rut
  4. Neverready

Neverready Medium Load Member

Jul 24, 2014
    Pocomoke City, Md.
    the best confirmed by someone I know is 6 miles mobile to mobile. It may actually be doing better that was with me running the rf gain at the edge of the noise level. I would like to truly test it for distance some time but running across some one with a known good system is rare. I. Do get up to the Hazleton area occasionally so maybe I'll catch rabbi on the air. Until I am sure I will make no claims beyond 6 miles mobile to.mobile though I believe the potential is there. Ridgeline and others have pointed out things that could be changed to make the antenna system work better and the inherent flaws in using this type of system mobile. The biggest advantage I have seen is despite it's flaws the radio itself has been happy as far as the swr on 2 trucks and 3 different antennas acting as the driven element. Maybe it is just luck as many have a greater knowledge and practical experience in antenna theory than I do. To get back to Mikes topic. I have found running the rf gain at the noise level less annoying than running it wide open. I have also been guilty of turning down the volume when someone is being a jerk and forgetting to turn it back up when out of range.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
    rabbiporkchop and bored silly Thank this.
  5. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    You've got a 857 and you are going to go down to a connex?

Why?

If you want a real CB, just get a used cobra or uniden, not some junk.

rabbiporkchop and bored silly Thank this.
  6. Neverready

Neverready Medium Load Member

Jul 24, 2014
    Pocomoke City, Md.
    my guess would be he doesn't want to have the 857 modified to transmit on 19. Thought about it with my 706 but decided best to just stay with cb for this band.

Inthedark Thanks this.
  7. Ridgeline

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Well depending on the model, it may be an easy thing to do but overall I am surprised at anyone with any radio knowledge buying that 10m cb over something that can work really well cheaply.

Neverready Thanks this.
  8. Ridgeline

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Rabbi, Sorry to say this but I am leaning on the skeptical side of the video thing, I know how they can be faked and unless there is someone who I know is involved and I can tap to confirm it, it sits in my maybe sort of probable folder on the computer.

I've done more with 10 meters, but see I've for more than one confirmation on my contacts that I have to use to provide my awards, so I could record it but then it really means little to those who are not seeing the other end.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2017
    Reason for edit: Removed quote
    rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  9. KillingTime

KillingTime Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2016
    Rockland, Maine
    I've got allergies! You shut up!
    Lol.

10. alghazi

alghazi Road Train Member

Aug 29, 2014
    They don't need a CB. They have an app for that.

11. bored silly

bored silly Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2016
    now your starting to make sense I've never said once I doubt you about the range your getting in your area. I'm certainly not seeing or getting that kind of receive or transmit out here and I've never once claimed that on this forum. you just said stated a mouthful doesn't matter how good my setup is if the guy on the the other end has sub-par less than perfect equipment on the other end.

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.