Do you run a Dash Cam?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Cattleman84, Jun 16, 2018.

Do you run a dash cam?

1. Yes

75.4%
  2. No

18.8%
  3. Company Mandated

5.8%
  1. Hegemeister

Hegemeister Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Been shopping for one. Looking at specs and trying to figure which is good without spending $300.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. WildTiger1990

WildTiger1990 Heavy Load Member

Apr 21, 2015
    Anything on Amazon around 100$ good.
    Make sure you have 2 good future on it
    1st Motion sensor, so what it does it's record any moment around your truck.
    So when you get to go to bed , and will wake up 8 hours later with your hood fell off. It will be ez to track down who did it.
    Why nor put it on record all the time? Well memory on your device quite limited, especially if you have good camera on it.
    2nd look for device with Sony sensor in it , they right now best for your buck.

Hegemeister Thanks this.
  4. RustyChops41

RustyChops41 Light Load Member

Apr 25, 2016
    Clovis, CA
    Highly recommend a dash cam. But I mute the mic so if the inevitable happens they won't hear me inventing new cuss words. Also I hear that it is best, if possible, to not tell the other driver about your footage, especially when they are obviously at fault yet defiant in their proclaimed innocence. Just let them have lots of rope to hang themselves later.

5. Cam Roberts

Cam Roberts Road Train Member

May 13, 2018
    You mute the mic? Mic is a good thing especially with dot stops man.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  6. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    I mute the mic too. Just have to touch the side of the cam to turn it on though if I want to.

Cattleman84 and RustyChops41 Thank this.
  7. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    So I did get one... It is a Wheelwitness HD Pro. It seems like a good cam so far... Paid I think $129 for it. It came with a suction cup mount, 2 adhesive mounts, power cord that plugs into cigarette lighter, GPS module (enables it to stamp your speed on the footage) and a 16 GB micro SD card.

I put a 64 GB card in it that I already had. It has several resolution, and video quality settings options. Also has the G-sensor so it will automatically write protect the clip when it senses a collision.

I also bought a hard wiring kit so that I can just wire it into a fuse in the truck. I'm debating on putting it on an accessories circuit so that it is only on when the key is on or to just wire it to a constant live circuit... Either way I am going to put a toggle switch into the circuit so that I can turn it off if I want to.

Here is a pic that I snipped from some of the very first footage it recorded so y'all can see the image quality... And I don't even have it set on the highest resolution... I don't know how to upload video.

Capture+_2018-06-18-20-53-33.png

8. Balakov100

Balakov100 Road Train Member

May 10, 2012
    Temple, TX
    I have my own. Also the company put one in.

Cattleman84 and rank Thank this.
  9. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    I haven't priced dash cams in a while but that seems a really good price for one with gps. Nice.

Cam Roberts and Cattleman84 Thank this.
  10. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    Dash cam plus a camera on each mirror facing the rear. It has helped me 2-3 times. Could’ve been 5-6 times but all the action happens when I don’t have it on. Tip: always have it on

Dash cam Action starts ~12:05

Mirror cams action starts ~2:50

NightWind, nowright and Cattleman84 Thank this.
  11. DSK333

DSK333 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Pennsyltucky
    I've been seriously considering it for entirely too long. In fact, this post has inspired me to get off my ### and do it. Was initially thinking of repurposing a cell phone for this but seeing how affordable the dedicated cams have become I may get one of those instead. With all these Transportation Lawyers plastered on every other billboard on most major cities I should add a little protection from possible future litigation.

rank and Cattleman84 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.