Do you run a Dash Cam?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Cattleman84, Jun 16, 2018.

Do you run a dash cam?

1. Yes

75.4%
  2. No

18.8%
  3. Company Mandated

5.8%
  1. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    If you can't read the license plate of the vehicle passing you, then you have the wrong dash cam.

TallJoe Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cam Roberts

Cam Roberts Road Train Member

May 13, 2018
    That's always helpful if our worried about the police napping the guy but if your insurance company wont cover repairs to your truck due to a hit and run when you clearly have video proof then a new insurance provider is probably more of a priority than a 400 dollar dashcam. Point being, you don't need to spend top dollar on a dashcam. plenty of dashcams with high resolution for under 100 dollars out there and that's all you need. You just need to protect yourself from being at fault

NightWind Thanks this.
  4. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Thoes jokers won't just effect me, they will get slapped before they can do it to someone else...

Lyle H Thanks this.
  5. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    Once I transfer the footage to my phone I can zoom in and read plates really well... I can almost pick out individual pebbles in the asphalt.

6. Canucklehead

Canucklehead Medium Load Member

Feb 25, 2010
    Vancouver BC
    A dash cam will save your bacon with either your company or insurance company. Rip out the one installed to watch you if it's in there. But, I also have a Pen Cam. Yep, it looks like a pen and you can put it in a breast pocket. Great for when recruiters or the boss are lying their faces off.

NightWind Thanks this.
  7. Moon_beam

Moon_beam Heavy Load Member

Aug 29, 2012
    YouTube

When you are in bad weather you can tell your friends about your experience but it is more helpful to show them your bad experience.

8. 36750177

36750177 Light Load Member

Sep 10, 2014
    Hegemeister, You get what you pay for now days.....

I consider myself pretty knowledgeable, somewhat of a connoisseur when it comes to dash cameras as I've spent an arm & a leg $ on them. I would recommend to stay away from Garmin 45 & Rand McNally 200 & 300 series dash cameras as I experienced many issues with these and typically any camera that's under the $100.00 price point cause they'll just make you aggravated. About 6 months ago purchased a Ausdom A261 off Amazon, $ 89.95, pictured below.....
    [​IMG]
    recommended by Bill the owner of Securitysystems.com as an excellent camera for the money and the best of the Chinese Camera lineup. After about 3 months it too started having issues from heat, the trucks defroster & issues with a 64gb San Disk micro sd card. The good news is a customer service representative named Nydia contacted me regarding these issues and she tried helping me by e-mail then asked me to ship the dash cam back to China for repair, $ 14.00... Chinese don't get in any hurry, it's been about 2.5 months since she received it & I spoke to her 2 days ago and she's repaired it & shipping it back.
    Since I didn't have a camera protecting me those 2.5 months I went & bought a Falcon Zero Touch HD
    $ 180.00 off their website www.falconzero.com pictured below.

[​IMG]
    and then not a day or two later stumbled upon the 2 Best Dash Cameras in the business at, blackboxmycar.com ... I am happy with & I haven't had any issues with the Falcon Zero Touch HD and it's been plugged in the cigarette lighter since day one, recording 24/7. This package came with 2 suction cup mounts, 2 cradles for the camera to set in, 2 GPS antennas, 2 micro USB to std. USB cables, micro USB to, it came a slew extras that are not included with any other systems, I was amazed, and It did come with 2 different Hard Wire kits but they are Mickey Mouse IMHO...
    If you truly want the best I recommend you consider looking at these two cameras as they offer high end features like Sony Starvis Image Sensor & Ambarella A12 Chipsets as well as many other options not found on any other cameras.
    Thinkware F800 Pro Cloud Dash Cam
    BlackSys CH-200 2-CH WiFi Dash Cam

Here is a crash from the Flexmedia V7 Dash Cam I bought back in March 2014
    OREGON ROLLOVER.mp4
    Here is approx 40 deer crossing in front of me Hwy 199 in downtown Moab, Utah
    DEC. 23, ANTLER FRIENDS.MOV

I am looking for the bird hitting the windshield at 65 mph, that was real exciting video!

Hey rank,
    is that a Canon or Nikon DSLR Camera hanging off your mirror dude ? You know they make 2 channel dash cameras now that are the size of a book or matches, you can barely tell there's even a camera attached to the mirror they are soo small.

DSK333 and Hegemeister Thank this.
  9. DSK333

DSK333 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Pennsyltucky
    WTH caused that roll over?

10. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    Looked to me like the ledge of the shoulder grabbed his tires and gave him a tug... Bet it did the same with the trailer, but it probably kept going and then pulled the truck over.

DSK333 Thanks this.
  11. RaiderWolf92

RaiderWolf92 Bobtail Member

Jul 5, 2018
    Colorado
    I've already had a dash cam save my butt before, and if I didn't have one in my car, I wouldn't have a CDL right now. I had a Cyclist ride out on a "No walk" light for him, in the rain, wearing a grey poncho, right infront of me when I had a green light. By the time I saw him, all I could do was lock up the brakes and slide (ABS Didn't do #### to save me that day.) All I did was knock him off and bent the rear wheel, my car didn't even get damaged. But I ended up having to goto the DA to fight a failure to yeild ticket and get it taken off my record.

So yeah. I refuse to drive at all without a camera rolling.

Albertaflatbed Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.