Do You Tailgate?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Wargames, Feb 13, 2011.

1. wsyrob

wsyrob Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Winston Salem
    Just don't panic when that big truck tries to intimidate you by riding right on your bumper and cut right in front of the other big truck in the right lane going with the flow trying to maintain a proper following distance. That's part of the reason they do it.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    Evidently he doesn't know the 1 second for every 10 mph rule. What's that? Just as long as you don't kill them it's okay to hit them? It amazes me the mentality of some. You can get down the road just as fast 200 ft behind someone just as you can 10 ft behind someone. That over aggressive, over confident driver pushes and pushes just so he can get off a truck stop down the road, I'm sixty seconds behind you. WTF is sixty seconds? Some actually think they are doing something when the truth is they ain't doing squat. This is one difference between a one year driver and a five year driver.

You're out there driving ten hours a day, day after day. You have to develop habits for the long haul. If you drive in a manner which puts you at 5:1 of getting in a wreck and someone else drives in a manner your odds are 10:1 of getting in a wreck, who do you think is most likely to have a wreck first. Bent Wrench, +5 is not okay just because everyone else is doing it. You fall into the monkey see monkey do mentality, lawyers are going to have a field day with you. Truck drivers don't follow bad four wheeler habits. Speed limit.....what's the second word? It's not speed limit +5. You'll learn when some confused driver locks em down in front of you.

Wargames, Long Hood, Injun and 7 others Thank this.
  4. Wargames

Wargames Captain Crusty

Jul 22, 2010
    WI.
    Im going to disagree with your attitude behind a commercial vehicle. You sound very dangerous. I am surprised at this, looking at your age. Very disappointing.

Lady K, xlsdraw, Raiderfanatic and 4 others Thank this.
  5. Palazon

Palazon Road Train Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Tacoma, WA
    While I agree with some points, (cell phone, look ahead etc.) I can't believe you would condone tailgating because someones not doing the speed you think you should be able to travel.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
  6. Bent Wrench

Bent Wrench Medium Load Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Cornholio, OR
    I did not condone tail gateing.

I was saying that if you are doing 54.5 MPH in the fast lane and that is slower than the flow of traffic then you are more wrong than the tailgater.

This is even a more sensitive issue in lane control states.

7. Palazon

Palazon Road Train Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Tacoma, WA
    "Obey the slower vehicles must travel in the right lanes law!!!!!!!
    That does not mean you can do the speed limit in the fast lane. If you're not doing +5 MOVE THE HECK TO THE RIGHT!!! There is being right (obeying the speed limit to the letter of the law) and being DEAD RIGHT. Travel with the flow of traffic, if you can't maintain that speed YOU ARE THE SAFETY ISSUE!!!!!!! Move to the right or get off the road..... Go with the flow douche bag. A trucker can see 20 cars ahead of you and he will base his speed on that, not watch your rear bumper playing follow the leader (inchworm)."

Sorry if I misunderstood you, but the quote above looked like you were condoning tailgating.

Personally, I hang out in the granny lane (exception: large cities, lot's of on/off traffic). In OR, the truck limit was 55mph. I'd do 58 and have trucks (and 4 wheelers) climb on my ICC bumper with a clear left lane. I ran fat rigs (100k gross vans) so I learned to maintain my braking distances.

8. Wargames

Wargames Captain Crusty

Jul 22, 2010
    WI.
    Bent Wrench, If someone is driving a commercial vehicle, It does not matter what wrong a 4 wheeler, or even another commercial vehicle is doing. Your job is to back off when approaching ANY situation on the road. Then Proceed around or wait for traffic to move. You Have no right to force anyone to move their vehicle. When I approach a 4 wheeler or come rial vehicle, I have a theory, I can take my foot off the accelerator, and coast to a slow no brake stop. I other words I leave an extra amount of room in front of me. When vehicles come off a ramp to merge, I BACK OFF, and let them in. Before you know it, in all situations,1 - 5 minutes, its all over with, and you continue down the road.

Long Hood Thanks this.
  9. o.m.d.

o.m.d. Heavy Load Member

Aug 15, 2010
    massachusetts
    i drive the same roads every other day at my job and i always drive slow, and careful. well maybe not SLOW but you get the idea. i drive a speed that im 100% comfortable at and i feel like im just cruising and taking in the scenery

Wargames Thanks this.
  10. Injun

Injun Road Train Member

May 15, 2010
    West o' the Big Crick
    It's not going to matter who is more right or more wrong when the person who was more right has to live with themself after killing the three-year-old in the back of that car they just ran over after the driver got terrified of that truck grill coming up so fast and close ...and hit the brakes.

Yes, the brake-hitter was more wrong. But now the trucker has to live with the death of a child that could have been prevented by the trucker. And it will be the trucker who goes to prison for it.

11. wsyrob

wsyrob Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Winston Salem

Not if the speed limit is 55. Anyone passing you would be speeding.

Sometimes its just safer for tractor trailers to stay in the middle lane as opposed to constantly moving over to let lines of traffic on during heavy traffic. Anyone getting in a hurry weaving in and out during those times is an idiot no matter what their experience and skill level is. Just minimize the lane changes and drive a little slower than the 4 wheelers who are late for work. Don't try to be like them in a tractor trailer.

Wargames Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.