Do You Tailgate?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Wargames, Feb 13, 2011.

1. Wargames

Wargames Captain Crusty

Jul 22, 2010
    WI.
    You need your keys taken away from you. What if a mom, and her kids were in that car, broke down, and needed help. You intentionally did this act, which could have killed everyone in that car. I cant believe you posted something stupid like that.

I posted this thread in hopes, It keeps drivers aware of tailgating Is the wrong thing to do. And if this post changed there way of thinking, while driving a commercial vehicle, then it was worth posting.

123456, Tazz, formertaxidriver and 5 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rockee

rockee Road Train Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Pacific Northwest
    If you do see someone tailgating its not that hard to at least get the tlr number and call in on them. Im not talking about if someone cuts in front of someone and they happen to be close for a short period, but the true bozo's that think they can intimidate someone out of their way by hanging ten feet off their bumper doing 55-60

4. wsyrob

wsyrob Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Winston Salem
    I quoted and asked those questions of a different driver. This guy waited until the last second to swerve into the hammer lane screwing the guy who was tailgating behind him. The propper response is not to wait until "the last minute" but to change lanes immediately. I would also stop if I saw another truck jackknife behind me.

Injun and Wargames Thank this.
  5. wsyrob

wsyrob Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Winston Salem
    Some driver run up fast on 4 wheelers and tailgate to intimidate them. Ever see the sharks teeth on the grill? They could care less whether you cut off another truck moving to the right as long as you get out of their way.

Ducks Thanks this.
  6. Bazerk Wizz Bang!

Bazerk Wizz Bang! Medium Load Member

Thats the same reason I wrote my post above, how could you not have gotten it?? I made it quite clear in almost every aspect of my first post.
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    I only had a couple seconds to think about it, the top of overpass leveled off and there is car center of lane dead. I did everything I could to shake this tailgaiter, got in the slow truck lane and dropped a gear almost no traffic so 2 clear lanes to pass me, the hammer lane the whole hour two hours had almost no traffic no reason for him to shadow maby 10 feet off my trailer bumper. I had a lot of bad things on my mind, personal probs at home, probs with the company and finantial issues. You could say I was Peezed at the world and at that one moment didnt care. I am not perfect. I try to do the right thing most of the time but I do have my moments, I have always had an anger problem, took anger managment classes couple times when I was younger and its an issue I have always battled with and fought to controll. I do have my moments. If you are perfect and never have a moment, I sincerely envie you bud.

I couldnt have stopped if I wanted to. It was an overpass, with a jacknifed rig behind me that I caused, I aint gona stop my rig right there or anywhere close to that less the blue and whites start flashing. A guy who was tailgaiting me got in a reck (probley, not for sure) becouse he was tailgaiting me. If I had 2 speak to a cop about it, one or two seconds schmeconds. I jumped over in the hammer lane as soon as I saw it and saw the hammer lane clear. My tailgator is 100% at fault.

Do not tailgate another big rig ever!

7. Wargames

Wargames Captain Crusty

Jul 22, 2010
    WI.
    Bazerk Wizz Bang, I enjoy reading your post on here, but everything you did and said above is completly wrong. You have some very serious issues here. What you should have done, was pull off the road, possibly side street, gas station, anywhere available. I normally just back off the speed, or use the shoulder. PULL OVER. Like I said, I like you on this Forum, we have fun, but when we discuss situations like yours, Quote, ( I dont dislike You) at all, but You are becoming a hazard on the road. Talk to someone. Your still a friend here.

8. o.m.d.

o.m.d. Heavy Load Member

Aug 15, 2010
    massachusetts
    when someone is tail gating me even if im in my car driving down a regular road i usually slow way down just to either get them to pass me or to piss them off. either way i win because i dont have to worry about a bad wreck. when im in the work truck i do the same thing, if someone is up my ##### for any reason, slow down time!! like i said its a win win, i get to piss them off even more so maybe they get the hint, and if i have an emergency up ahead i know i can slow down with out getting rear ended.

Wargames, Injun and bullhaulerswife Thank this.
  9. Palazon

Palazon Road Train Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Tacoma, WA
    When someone is tailgating me in the truck, my 1st option is the CB:

"Hey (insert random truck company name) this is (my company name). You get any closer to my rear end and you'd better be buying me dinner and a show! Left lane is Clear!"

Amazing how well it works......:biggrin_2559:

Injun and Wargames Thank this.
  10. Injun

Injun Road Train Member

May 15, 2010
    West o' the Big Crick
    That wouldn't work for me. I'd get the response, "OOOOoohh-KAAAAAaaaaaaayyy!!!" And they'd crowd in even closer.

So I usually just gradually slow down until they realize they're only going 50mph.

Wargames Thanks this.
  11. Wargames

Wargames Captain Crusty

Jul 22, 2010
    WI.
    Just hearing a womans voice always gets one going. LOL

Slowing down, I also, think is the best choice, if that doesn`t work, pull off the road.

Injun Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.