Do you think you could ?

Discussion in 'Seek Employment' started by Lil-beaver, Nov 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lil-beaver

Lil-beaver Light Load Member

Oct 17, 2010
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Some of you know my story but for those of your who don't, I will give a quick run down. Truck driving school, CDL A, Werner training 4mon, cement truck 7mon, otr with o/o 2mon. Then had kid and been home 2yrs. I got fixed, potty trained the baby, and have full access to go back to work. Except that NO one will hire me because I haven't driven in 2yrs. I now have two options. 1 pay alot of money (that I don't have) to take a refresher course.
    2 find an owner operator that is willing to take me under wing and train me. So if you live in CA and your an o/o and you think you could help Please let me know. This is a scary thing for me to ask but I really don't want to give up on trucking. Help.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lil may

lil may Road Train Member

May 25, 2009
    a lot of O/O or any driver can't do this becasue of insurance and liability

4. Gears

Gears Trucker Forum STAFF - Gone, But Not Forgotten.

Aug 20, 2009
    That was my 1st thought too.
    Does a refresher course cost as much as starting over?
    Maybe some carriers offer a refresher course for folks in a situation similar to yours...

5. lil may

lil may Road Train Member

May 25, 2009
    I know in my area there is a refresher at a local truck driving school or you can go there and practice by the hr

6. Lil-beaver

Oct 17, 2010
    Bakersfield, Ca
    My Old truck driving instructor is willing to work out a deal with me. After I finished I stayed friends with him and he opened up his own school. Most refresher coursed are 2000 and up. I will only pay 500, get a week to drive around, and get a 40hr certificate. I start next week. I'm going to try to get local before trying otr. I could get a oil field pump truck job starting at 18hr. I will keep all posted and thanks for the advice. BTW it is 4000 to start over again.

7. dino6960

dino6960 YOUDAMAN

Jun 25, 2009
    florida
    I understand this "retraining" thing is what they do now.... but my feeling is. when you learned how to ride a bike an got old enough to drive , then decided to go back to it , did you forget how to ride a bike????? to me this is horse shyat!!!!! $4000 to learn something you already know how to do:biggrin_25521:..... to me it's just another way for the gooberment and the schools to get there gooberment kick back...... If it were me I'd find someone to cover my but and say you never left the field of driveing........seems it would save $4000 and alot of headaches:biggrin_25524:

bobobrazil and Lil-beaver Thank this.
  8. Lil-beaver

Oct 17, 2010
    Bakersfield, Ca
    I got a deal on my refresher course. $500, 1wk of driving 8-3, Th. Fri. Mon. Tue. Wed. Then get my certificate. It will say I have 40hrs. Then back to applying for work.

9. frdr

frdr Medium Load Member

Aug 25, 2007
    houston, tx.
    Exactly.

Have someone you know "provide" you with a current reference. There ain't no way I would pay for some stupid "refresher" course. I probably know more than the the so-called instructor does.

Even if you have to pay someone a little for the reference, it would be cheaper than a school.

10. Lil-beaver

Oct 17, 2010
    Bakersfield, Ca
    2 days into my refresher course and 3 days to go.

11. Gears

Gears Trucker Forum STAFF - Gone, But Not Forgotten.

Aug 20, 2009
    Well, at least you're getting some seat time and I'm sure you feel better about that then paying someone for a reference.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.