Do you use your CB often

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by Trukie, May 21, 2021.

1. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH
    Didn't run one for years, but went back to steel, and grain. They are overly used. I find myself getting bear reports from steel and grain haulers. Even cow busses have mostly gone silent.

MACK E-6 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    I rarely use mine - I call it my 'back up radio', I turn it on when I get in a backup.

I used to run with it on all the time. But then I started training, and it started making problems worse. When my guy does something stupid, or is too timid, I want him hearing it from me in a constructive manner, not in a racist, misogynistic rant. So I lost the habit of turning it on in the morning.

Then I went into my first Cascadia, and getting a decent antenna set up was a challenge. The best I could get was a 3 mile receive and a 2 mile transmit. By the time I could hear the warnings, I was already in it. Then I went into a P4 Cascadia, that has a different mirror mounting set up, and I haven't bothered trying to set up my own antenna. Part of that is I've been essentially running local the last 18 months, and their is mental midget with a base station somewhere near Greenfield that likes to rebroadcast talk radio/game shows. I think it's unintentional bleed through, but it's annoying as heck regardless.

I will always have a cb in whatever truck I run. I will, at some point, upgrade my stock antenna. But the days of the CB being a necessity are long gone. When I started trucking, a lot of places had signs saying "check in on channel XX, or park and walk 500 miles to the guard shack, just to walk 500 miles more to receiving". I could never keep up with anyone to actually have a real conversation, but I often got enough warning about a cluster up ahead to be able to get off and run around it. The other day I knew I-41 was shut down at WI-60, and I had my CB on trying to keep track of where the back up was going to start so I could chose where to start cutting east to US-45. Nary a peep. I'm done spending money on a tool that doesn't earn it's keep.

4. Lowboy456

Lowboy456 Light Load Member

Mar 14, 2017
    That's probably because many people don't run one like they should or they keep turned them off because of some A hole truckers telling them to get out of the middle lane.

Next week someone might save you from hitting 6 cows in the road just over a hill.
    You never really know when it can help.
    I hear folks in our area all the time telling folks where to get off to avoid traffic.

Another trick you can do is search your route with google map and it will show you in red where all the traffic is backing up if you have it setup in settings to do so.

MACK E-6 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.