Dodge Ram 5500

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by Bumblebee101, Feb 16, 2019.

1. Bumblebee101

Bumblebee101 Light Load Member

May 17, 2018
    Massachusetts
    Is this a decent truck for a 4-5 trailer. I am sick of trucking looking to downsize a lot. I would be pulling around Springfield MA area. I know 60k could buy a decent rig also.

I am looking for a newer truck for personal use also. Don’t really want a rig. I am in the army and I deploy every few years. That’s why I just sold my flat and Pete. With that being said if I do this I need it to make sense with duel purpose equipment. I see some 3-5 carriers for around 10k.

Looking for pros and cons. Done some car hauling early 2004 ish. Any advice or view points are appreciated.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bumblebee101

May 17, 2018
    Massachusetts
    I also see a lot of these now in the northeast with 3 cars. But with a 2500 or 3500. Seems like that is pushing the limits of the truck. Is there a big difference in a f 550 or this dodge 5500?

4. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    The reason you see the 350/3500 rather than the 5500 is a combination of CDL and IFTA/IRP. If they keep their rig at or under a gross combined weight rating of 26,000 they avoid having a CDL (except California) as well as apportioned registration and fuel tax decals.

Now, you say you are sick of trucking and are looking for this as an alternative, well you maky want to look further into it. Running a pickup and wedge trailer requires everything that any other commercial vehicle requires as far as operating authority, DOT compliance, ELDs and so on. Only area you get a break is the CDL/IFTA/IRP and drug testing, if you are weighted and registered properly.

The DOT hammers on these trucks, they know most guys are trying to skirt the rules so they look hard at them, especially in Mass and New York.

Bumblebee101 Thanks this.
  5. Badmon

Badmon Heavy Load Member

Oct 6, 2014
    Deep south
    I imagine running like this youd be limited to a 3 car or something of the sort? i'm trying to picture hauling vehicles and still managing to gross 26,000 or less, and still turning a decent profit... but i'm bad at math so its looking like a slave ship from here

Bumblebee101 and brian991219 Thank this.
  6. brian991219

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    It is, and yes to stay legal on weight and length you really are limited to 3 or less cars. There can be money made if you get direct customers and stay away from the load boards.

I have been towing or hauling cars for most of the last 27 years, never had a pickup and trailer, always had either specialized 4,5 or 7 car carrier or traditional high-mount 7 car trailers. My business partner had started with a 3 car wedge and did well, but that was 15 years ago.

Even with bigger trucks it is still difficult to make a decent profit in car haul today, not like it was even 5 years ago.

Bumblebee101 and Badmon Thank this.
  7. Bumblebee101

May 17, 2018
    Massachusetts
    Just to be clear I am not looking to stay under 26000 pounds. I like many want less overhead so I don’t have to scramble if/when I deploy or when I want to go to a class for a couple weeks.

When I get back from this tour coming in May I won’t have a car payment so I was thinking of a slightly used 5500 ram or the same. Buy a slightly used 4-5 trailer and pray it was worth it.

If I get 3500 or bigger there are some per diem things I can do that would make great money for a short time. If I buy a single or tandem rig again I think I would end up with a flat again.

My main question is a 550, 5500 a good choice. Financially and not financially (as would it work safely for 300k miles). And for the people that drove class A for more then 10 years, do you like the hotshot thing over cdl work?

Could you find a good truck under 60k miles for around $30k and a 3-5 car trailer for under $15k?

8. brian991219

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    Yes you can find a truck and trailer in that range, although you won't be using it for personal use nor will your overhead be significantly lower than a class 7 or 8 rig. Here is why.

Over 26,000 gvwr will require IFTA and apportioned plates so you will need to account for every mile, even personal. The IRP and IFTA boards want their tax/fee for a commercial vehicle, even when being used as a personal conveyance. It isn't as simple as just taking the signs off the door or covering them and running, at least not if you want to be legal.

The insurance and other costs associated with running this setup will be nearly the same as if it were a single axle tractor with a trailer, and you can't just pause the payments on the insurance when you deploy. You would have to voluntarily revoke your authority to cancel insurance then when you return it would be like starting all over again as a new carrier with the brokers.

It is a myth that the pickups with the 3-5 car carriers are cheaper to run than a traditional class 7 or 8 high mount car hauler. They are not if you do it legal, the backnoffice compliance and other overhead is the same. Only savings is the tires and repairs may be lower price, although the trucks wear out much faster so in the end the cost per mile to operate is about the same.

Now, your plan may work if you can find a company to lease your truck and trailer to, that way you can come and go as you please without the cost of maintaining your operating authority while deployed.

I hipe you find a solution that works. It sucks that a man serving his country has these types of problems to deal with and can't feasibly run a business because of potential deployments. Thank tou for the sacrifice and service.

rowekmr Thanks this.
  9. Bumblebee101

May 17, 2018
    Massachusetts
    Well there goes my dream of a cool ram rod!!!!!

10. Bumblebee101

May 17, 2018
    Massachusetts
    Would anyone give a going rate per car in the Massachusetts area? Zip 01056. Regional area. Just trying to figure out stuff out. Found some cool single axle sleepers.

11. brian991219

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    Wholesale like lease return average .40-.60 per mile, inoperable cars are near $1 per mile but need special handling. New I have no idea.

By the way, my former business partner has a older Mack single axle with a 7 car Miller trailer, complete rig ready to haul. Tractor is a 2000 with a 1999 engine so it is even ELD exempt. Trailer is a 2014, we owned it since new. $50,000 for the whole combo, located in northeast PA, about 60 miles from Newburgh, NY.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.