Does anybody actually follow the rules at swift?

Discussion in 'Swift' started by Lonewolf2000, Jul 15, 2018.

1. Trucking in Tennessee

Trucking in Tennessee Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    I thought companies were doing the "push to pass" thing like IndyCar. Anyone heard of them doing it? Supposed to give 3 extra.

joshuapowell61 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Flashdrive7

Flashdrive7 Medium Load Member

Apr 24, 2015
    West Coast
    I was with swift for about a year and was always getting email or phone reprimand. Among them: wearing sneakers on the job, parking where I wasn't supposed to, improper climbing in and out of the truck. Having a dirty truck, etc etc etc....

Patrick615 Thanks this.
  4. 1nonly

1nonly tease-y-ness

Jul 2, 2008
    The burning sands of the SW
    There doesn't seem to be much enforcement of the "minor" rules. But the bigger rules are enforced. I've seen drivers fired for having alcohol in the cab, a baby in the truck, drugs in their possession. The little stuff, though, such as flip-flops and smoking in non-smoking areas- well, no one seems to care. And that's frustrating. Why have the rules if you won't enforce them?

SHOJim Thanks this.
  5. IluvCATS

IluvCATS Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    I didn’t know Swift was such a wholesome outfit.

driverdriver Thanks this.
  6. driverdriver

driverdriver Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    Lmao.
    If they don't get that free laundry thing going umm.... well that's deal breaker for me right there. Roflmao.

IluvCATS Thanks this.
  7. OldeSkool

OldeSkool Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2018
    Arkansas
    I've never worked for Swift but I did drive a truck with a limiter when I started trucking. In my opinion the guy trying to pass one mile an hour faster than the other guy isn't as much to blame as the guy being passed. I always bumped my speed down a bit and let them around. The guy in the hammer lane hates it to but there's nothing he can do. If you never pass you're finally doing 55 in a 65

1nonly and 3523 Thank this.
  8. fairshake

fairshake Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Chickenville, BFE
    I used to think that way, now I truly blame the passing vehicle. It was his decision to attempt this pass and hold up traffic. You are relying on another driver thinking they “should” slow down for you with this mind set, driving like this does nothing but create road rage situations mainly by the cars in back of you. As I’ve driven more I make my own decision not to pass if speeds are so close unless I know I can pass up a hill when light quickly. The person in slow lane shouldn’t need to be inconvenienced every time some creeper comes up. Patience is key, the passing driver is not patient and makes bad decisions.

I do slow down for the idiots, but I still blame them every time and I will speed up on a true idiot who just does not get the idea of staying out of the passing lane for .01 mph or a down hill roll passer. Generally it’s been my experience that a person like this is full of bad decisions and I don’t want them in front of me anyway to do a pass n park/brake/exit/slow. Even if I out roll a truck downhill due to weight I won’t pass them to annoy the hell out of them. The speed the truck runs on a flat surface is the speed you should always use as the measure of a necessary pass maneuver.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  9. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    To protect themselves from a lawsuit. If the employee is not following company policy it can be argued they are "acting outside the scope of employment", this limiting the exposure to the company.

stillwurkin Thanks this.
  10. 12BSEEN

12BSEEN Light Load Member

Jun 11, 2018
    I like to speed up when being pass..:)

11. Yuuyo

Yuuyo Bobtail Member

Apr 12, 2018
    Tim Walz Land
    Investing is a form of gambling.

Suckers

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.