Does Conway Truckload use dashcams?

Discussion in 'Con-Way' started by Polarbear25, Aug 24, 2014.

1. OFTOTR

OFTOTR Medium Load Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Toccoa GA
    I'm sure there is some way to remotely adjust the settings so the camera is more easily triggered, or to generate a 'test' video.
    Selective harassment or monitoring is possible. It probably isn't mentioned in the sales brochure, but I'm talking real world stuff.
    Feel free to line up for whichever koolaid you prefer.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Polarbear25

Polarbear25 Light Load Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Lost
    I like grape flavor!

4. Igneouss

Igneouss Bobtail Member

Jul 30, 2014
    here's my best guess on how it works:
    Sudden changes trigger the camera, we know that. Accident, hard braking, bouncing over a curb, sudden turns, etc.

When triggered the camera automatically saves the event plus the previous several seconds of video and emails it as soon as it can to safety. We know this too.

I doubt that safety watches all the clips that come in. I would guess that they have a protocol for what they do watch:
    - Any driver that has more trigger events than average gets attention.
    - obviously, any driver that has an accident has their vids scrutinized.
    - I would guess new drivers have a lower threshold for checks than senior drivers.

The real issue will be 'how Conway handles the data'. If they act proactive and constructive it's one thing. If they ambush drivers and punish, that's another. I sincerely hope they are careful as this sort of thing could be a real moral killer. Of course part of the puzzle will be sorting out the sour grape drivers - you know, the drivers that ###### no matter what happens. But hopefully, Conway is smart enough to understand that, in this day and age, every action will get scrutinized on the internet and theat keeping things positive will be hard no matter what Conway does.

5. Igneouss

Igneouss Bobtail Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Times change...
    I still here people say that they would never work for a company that uses electronic logs. Or governs top speed to xxMPH. Or uses forced dispatch... etc.

Chewey Thanks this.
  6. XFM2013

XFM2013 Light Load Member

Sep 2, 2014
    Bucyrus, OH
    I'm a freight driver, I have a dash cam in my truck. if there is a recorded incident the camera saves 8 seconds before and 4 seconds after the occurrence. The thing will flash red if something triggers it, it goes back to green if it is not recorded and stays red if it will be reviewed. It's downloaded daily at 0200 and all videos are reviewed by a 3rd party company and their experts decide which videos are forwarded to the terminals safety personnel. Con-way does not have access to the system, with exception to the videos that are forwarded to them by the 3rd party company.

We have had several (like 3-4) fatal accidents this year (2014) involving other vehicles. Our drivers have been found not at fault due to the evidence provided by the cameras.

While I can see the side that maybe cameras are invading privacy and such, but really what's going on in a day cab that's so private in the first place? It's not my truck! The other side is simply this, somebody's always watching anyway. I'd rather have the technology work for me.

paul_4lp Thanks this.
  7. lowgear14

lowgear14 Medium Load Member

Jun 1, 2014
    Conway Truckload does in fact use dash cams in their brand new trucks. Along with mirror radars if you get too close to each line either on the right and on the left. Plus, they have that little radar on the front bumper to back you off from tailgating someone.

8. Surfer Joe

Surfer Joe Heavy Load Member

Feb 27, 2011
    Cape Ann, Massachusetts
    Oh yes, another beautiful example of total capitulation by the sheeple;
    "Hey! I gots me nuthin' to hide, so let the good guys always watch over me.... gotta do it to get all them other bad guys"!
    Anything...Anything to keep us safe!
    Even when the bad guys are doin' all the watchin'!

9. mitrucker

mitrucker Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Lapeer, MI
    Key words in his statement were "Its not my truck". I work for a company that installed cameras too. I dont like it, but the job pays well and I sleep in my own bed every night so I put up with it. Eventually cameras will be in all company trucks. Then what?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.