Does cruise control still work with adaptive cruise sensor unplugged?

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by Cobrawastaken, Sep 12, 2019.

1. Cobrawastaken

Cobrawastaken Medium Load Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Tulsa, OK
    Not that I would ever do this, but I happen to know that you can unplug the radar sensor in freightliners to disable the adaptive cruise control and you can still use regular cruise control.

So what about a Volvo? I have a 2019 VNL 760. Now being the outstanding driver that I am, I would never tamper with my company's equipment... That being said, if I unplug the sensor for the adaptive cruise on this Volvo, will I be able to use regular cruise control or will I have no cruise control at all?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Sharky88

Sharky88 Heavy Load Member

Sep 25, 2013
    Your sure can and regular cruse will work just fine. You will have a check lite on the dash but no big deal. Every thing works

4. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Why do u want to disable adaptive cruise. I actually kinda like it. Keeps u a certain number of ft away from the vehicle in front of u . it works great when running with somebody the same speed , if they are a little heavier than u and alow down a couple mph on the hill, u wont run up into the back of them. Pretty neat feauture if u ask me

5. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    Company equipment? Don't #### with it. You might even get a visit from safety.

6. Sharky88

Sharky88 Heavy Load Member

Sep 25, 2013
    Yeah it's a wonderful feature especially when a car crosses in front of you to take the exit and it slams on the brakes! It's especially wonderful when your in snow or ice. Just imagine all the fun you can have!

I know how to drive, I DO NOT need an electronic device applying the brakes!

7. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Well i agrre.e with you about the car slamming the brakes. I barely use cruise control but its nice to use it when it works. If ur driving on snow and ice with cruise control on , they need to take ur license away

8. Cobrawastaken

Apr 20, 2018
    Tulsa, OK
    Adaptive cruise is fine, but what I don't like is the constant beeping every time someone gets in front of me, or if I'm about to try and pass someone. I'm not gonna change lanes to pass people when I'm 2 semi truck lengths behind them. Less time spent in the left lane the better.

9. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    VADA Configuration #7 eliminates all that crazy behavior.... All of it.

Only acts as a safety device when it really should instead of the insane beeping that most companies use with the other configurations.

10. Cobrawastaken

Apr 20, 2018
    Tulsa, OK
    So what you're saying is that's just how my company decided to program it? I was actually disappointed in how it behaves because I expected better from Volvo. But if it's just my company's assumption of their drivers' stupidity, then that makes way more sense.

11. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I personally would refuse to endure a period of time in a deliberately by your company configured Beep beep beep brake slamming cab.

The message I get from your company whose actions speak louder than soothing words of safety etc is that I must be a very stupid driver to accept this situation there. Others have already described the dangers in addition to the OP.

I have two thoughts. Reconfigure the system to be silent and let you be the driver and decider of brakes. or quit that company and go elsewhere before something really bad happens because of the stupidity displayed by a company intent on configuring safety devices way beyond reason. It shows lack of trust for all the drivers on their fleet.

If you cannot trust me with a 200,000 tractor trailer with a million in narcotics and time sensitive chemo drugs (Some are no good after a day or hours...) then you want a robot to drive it for you. Not professional drivers.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.