Does driving PC while on 10

Discussion in 'ELD Forum | Questions, Answers and Reviews' started by InTooDeep, Sep 14, 2018.

1. DrFlush

DrFlush Road Train Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Yup, proves what my log department said, SLC to New York State under personal conveyance is perfectly legal

Bank_Lbr Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dieselboss

Dieselboss Technology Contributor

Feb 19, 2009
    DieselBoss.com
    Correct. There is no current government-imposed limit to PC.
    I have a customer who has one of those ARI condo sleepers and it also had an electric lift for a Harly-Davidson that he keeps on the truck. He takes off Sturgis bike week every year and uses his truck like an RV to go to the rally. Ends up being about 2800 miles round trip - all on PC.

Bank_Lbr and DrFlush Thank this.
  4. dptrucker

dptrucker Road Train Member

May 14, 2012
    adelanto,ca.
    I guess you are assuming I gave no idea what pc or how to log?
    I don't have to research anything. I already know this crap.

Bank_Lbr Thanks this.
  5. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    Did it (or variations thereof) all the time. Perfectly legal.

Accidental Trucker Thanks this.
  6. truckmath

truckmath Bobtail Member

Oct 20, 2018
    I realize this is a rather old thread, but just to maybe help others about what the sleeper berth time is for. In short, sleeper berth time is intended for use with the sleeper berth provision. In Canada, it's used more commonly for team driver time splitting and more complex situations that are nonexistent in the US regulation.

The law only states you cannot drive more than 11 hours without taking 10 hours off duty. There's nothing in that basic requirement to use sleeper berth time at all. It just says it has to be off duty. (As in line 1,2,5)

However, let's say you want to cut your time to 8 hours which is legal. You can drive after 8 hours logged as sleeper berth and take the 2 hours off later on (depends on how much driving time you saved the day before, on how long you can drive before taking the other 2 hours off duty). Basically if you drove only 8 hours the day before, now you can drive for 3 hours after logging 8 hours in the sleeper berth. However, those 8 hours must be logged as sleeper berth time and must be consecutive. As far as I know, this is the only legal requirement to ever bother with sleeper berth time. It's better practise to log your time as off duty in my opinion. You're only complicating your log for no reason by fiddling between sleeper and off duty.

Here's the kicker. Your day starts when you go on duty, so those 2 hours you just pushed forward are now going to cut into your day. So you must plan wisely. And do make sure you take the 2 hours consecutively, don't split it or your elog will not reset.

Hopefully this clears up the confusion...

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
  7. driverdriver

driverdriver Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    I'm confused , what confusion?

8. truckmath

truckmath Bobtail Member

Oct 20, 2018
    Some people were saying that you had to do 8 consecutive hours in the berth which is not true unless you plan to split your 10 hour break.*

* - in which case you would need to know what you're doing or you will screw up your log. This is why companies like Schneider National have policies stating that you are not allowed to use the sleeper berth provision, because if you make a mistake, you will be shut down for another 10 hours. Just so you know, Schneider's elog system is compatible with the sleeper berth provision, the only problem being that you'll be coached and possibly fired, even though it's completely legal. (But then again, I was glad to move on from that place!)

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
  9. driverdriver

driverdriver Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    Now I'm really confused.
    This thread is about wheather or not driving on PC will affect your 10 hour break.

InTooDeep Thanks this.
  10. truckmath

truckmath Bobtail Member

Oct 20, 2018
    It won't affect your 10 hour break unless you plan to use the 8 hour sleeper berth provision.

11. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.