Does freight really slow down?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by 1278PA, Jan 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1278PA

1278PA Road Train Member

Dec 5, 2015
    Does freight really slow down or is that a myth for the most part?

Even in poor economy people still buy food and need necessities like all the toiletries and soap shampoo ect..

Now the only,freight i can see slowing down is flatbed type,freight like lumber and other home improvement products.

But what do i know im not even in the industry yet. Part of the reason im getting into trucking is i think the job is one of the,most secure out there. We all need food and plenty of dry goods to be able to survive and maintain.

FerrissWheel Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mountaingote

mountaingote Road Train Member

Sep 22, 2012
    I've been in this racket for over 30 years and it does slow down this time of year. As far as security goes, people also need money to buy stuff with. In my town there are no jobs to be had and more layoffs coming

4. Straight Stacks

Straight Stacks Paper Cha$er

Jul 18, 2015
    Alabama Gulf Coast
    Freight slows down when I pump the brakes...mash the throttle...speeds up...

5. Bob Dobalina

Bob Dobalina Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2015
    The "Buckeye"
    In some sectors, yes: freight does slow down. Food shipments, reefer or dry, never really slow down because no matter what the state of the economy is, "ya gotta eat".

I was just at a shipper that deals in small engines and stuff for landscaping applications. Right now, they are extremely busy because orders are going out for springtime, when their customers will start getting busy. Depending on the freight, it does go in cycles. But for the most part, winter is the slow period every year.

6. FerrissWheel

FerrissWheel Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2015
    NV
    Food is always moving, yes. Reefer freight is typically the most stable for that very reason. Certain dry commodities are also very stable.

But all the crap that no one really needs slows to a crawl. Which normally hits dry van the hardest.

Another thing that can hurt dry or reefer to some extent is when DCs or stores stock up ahead of time which creates a slowdown in orders while they are dealing with seasonal stock surplus if it dosent get bought.

Tanker and Flatbed have thier own issues. But with both it depends on the sector.

7. FerrissWheel

FerrissWheel Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2015
    NV
    As a whole, if you get experience and find a good niche, you can get very reliable and stable pay.

Some drivers and company's simply switch products seasonally.

darthanubis and Bob Dobalina Thank this.
  8. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    It's not just a seasonal thing related to industry segment, but it's also spread out between "mega carriers" one quarter Swift is up and Schneider is down. Next quarter it flips. Only thing certain in obamaville is nothing is certain.

FerrissWheel and Straight Stacks Thank this.
  9. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    I was hot and heavy into getting my Captains liscence reuped and doing work in the merchant marine area starting 2 years ago.

With the price of oil crashing and there being massive layoffs in the Gulf oil regions I dropped that dream.

But I still follow the merchant marine blogs and forums.

3 months ago 2 of the major shipping companies out of Asia cancelled all outstanding orders for future ships and announced a 20percent layoff and layup of some ships because shipping had slowed so much.

FerrissWheel and tucker Thank this.
  10. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    ^^ I think 2016 is going to be a repeat of 2008, and probably worse given we have no where to go to "boost the economy" following the collapse ... we have been in a recession the last 8 years for all intents and purposes. The phony unemployment numbers [that don't reflect the massive slackers increase] and the fact American Idol is still on has far too many lulled into into a false sense of "security" and the hangover is going to be much worse then 2008. We are in fact probably headed into "The Great Depression" territory, in terms of adjusted numbers and reality. It won't be the same, but it will put many 6-12 years back in terms of position in financial life.

Trckdrvr, TLeaHeart, Lepton1 and 6 others Thank this.
  11. realdesertkickin

realdesertkickin Heavy Load Member

Nov 18, 2013
    Tustoned Arizona
    In my LTL experience, freight definately slows quite a bit, late oct thru xmas..

FerrissWheel Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.