Does Heartland System Drivers Run Good Miles

Discussion in 'Heartland' started by Florida_Trucker, May 7, 2012.

1. Florida_Trucker

Florida_Trucker Bobtail Member

May 7, 2012
    I'm currently set up to attend orientation for Heartland in Jacksonville towards the end of the month. The recruiter told me I would start at .43 cpm with a yr experience....that's running OTR. .43 sounds goos but I'm curious as to just how many miles I can run with them, and is choosing to run with them a goos choice...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Florida_Trucker

Florida_Trucker Bobtail Member

May 7, 2012
    I meant to say a good choice....

4. ChromeDome

ChromeDome Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Lakeland, FL
    Even running system you will end up with allot of regional loads. They will just run between regions. Heartland is a short to medium haul carrier. So do not expect to see 1000 mile loads very often. Most loads are 600 miles or less.
    This does not mean that you will not get miles though. Most of that will depend on your dispatcher.
    The good thing is that you can run allot less miles than at most other carriers, and still make a good paycheck each week.
    I would expect 2200-2500 miles to start. Then it should tick up some once you learn how to run their system and get to know your dispatcher and planners.
    I have talked to sytem drivers that stay in the 2200 mile level and others that have better dispatch and stay around the 2700 mile level. But even if it is 2500 miles per week. Do the math on what they pay would be at heartland and at another carrier that will hire drivers with only 1 year exp.
    Heck, I average around 2200 miles per week, and I am home every weekend for 48 hours or so.

5. transportHER

transportHER <strong>The Dynamic Duo</strong>

May 3, 2011

Hey ChromeDome! This sounds very practical and satisfying.
    But my husband and I are team drivers.
    Do you know the flow of freight and miles for a good team under the Team Division?

6. Truthin

Truthin Light Load Member

Jan 18, 2012
    Columbus, OH
    A team just retired from Heartland in their team division and saved up to build a retirement home in the northwest somewhere. I know they have separate freight for team drivers that goes long miles and their teams never seem to leave the company. Their website says that teams are paid 47 CPM or 51 CPM for any miles driven up in the northeast.

7. Truthin

Truthin Light Load Member

Jan 18, 2012
    Columbus, OH
    I don't know the flow of freight though and where it goes.

8. NoobiDriver

NoobiDriver Light Load Member

Sep 11, 2014

Is it possible to make about 1 grand net every week with heartland as a new employee with 1 year of experience?

9. ChromeDome

ChromeDome Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Lakeland, FL
    I would think so. I would guess that averaging 2400 miles a week would not be too hard on system. And at .43 cpm that would be 1032 per week. And that is just mileage. They have changed the detention pay to 15 bucks an hour, after first hour. Before you never could get detention at all.
    They also added in the short mile pay, so no more of the free delivery in city.
    Then factor in green miles for when you get in the northeast, which is another 4 cpm.

NoobiDriver Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.