Does LTL count as OTR experience?

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Prstone50, Mar 5, 2023.

1. KaoMinerva

KaoMinerva Transcendent God

Feb 5, 2016
    Yes every driver has a company card even if you're a home daily guy. Never know when you might have to run through. I love doing that because it guarantees 2 with days whether it's slow or not. It also puts you over guys because they CAN NOT miss a night home. Their wife will leave them lol

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Otr_tohru

Otr_tohru Light Load Member

Jan 15, 2022
    Please don’t judge for what I’m about to ask, when you have the manifest that has the hazmat sticker but placards are not required, would you still take it through a hazmat route? Can we take non placard hazmat loads through the 70 west of Denver?

4. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    I think it's all about preference. Both sides require planning and time management. I certainly didn't really get taught much other than the basics and over time I developed systems and routines that worked for me. I could work linehual of P & D if given the opportunity, but I much prefer the OTR lifestyle. That said, I do think running a year or 2 in LTL should count as experience, especially if they had routes in places like NYC or some place where it's difficult to back, or do other aspects of the job. Speaking of the backing, if an LTL guy goes OTR, the company won't have to worry about them hitting objects or backing in ill-advised places.

Prstone50 and MACK E-6 Thank this.
  5. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    No judgement here.

In light of the fact that certain loads can run through the tunnels in the PA Turnpike as opposed to none allowed through the tunnels in Baltimore MD, I would say that’s a perfectly valid question.

Otr_tohru Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.