Does Reefer Fuel Count Toward Shower Credit?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by tscottme, Dec 3, 2020.

1. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

In this instance I was at an AmBest affiliated truck stop, but the question can apply to any chain & their Loyalty Program. Say, for example, the chain awards a shower credit for 75 gallons of fuel purchased. If I buy 50 gallons for the truck and 25 gallons for the reefer would that earn a shower credit? I searched online but found nothing definitive. I called the 800 number for the AmBest card but it's just a voice mail. I guess in a pinch one could put road fuel in the reefer tank to get the credit.

Hauling reefers is worse than I imagined, BTW.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Blue Zombie Trucker

Blue Zombie Trucker Light Load Member

Nov 1, 2017
    Pulling reefers is far better than I ever imagined. I was worried I'd be unable to sleep, but after the first 3 weeks or so, I barely notice it.

I'm getting excellent miles and pretty decent lanes. The hours are a little odd, but I'm finding that I actually enjoy the variety, rather than the same bankers hours that I kept, pulling flats.

What about it are you disliking? Just curious...

Oh, and as to your question, good question. I had always assumed so, but now, you've got me wondering...

4. bigkev1115

bigkev1115 Road Train Member

Oct 23, 2009
    Alexandria, AL
    75 gallons can be either tractor only or tractor and reefer combined to equal 75 gallons or more. Last week at Flying J, I got 65 gallons in truck, and 11 in reefer. The receipt showed I earned a shower credit and 305 points

tscottme Thanks this.
  5. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Keyword being PURCHASE

6. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    Most fuel pumps have separate functions for reefer fuel and tractor fuel. No road tax on refer fuel.
    Back in my chicken hauling daze I always normally filled the truck with over a hundred gallons. Never had a problem with shower credits.
    You have been pulling a refer to long when you get home you place the lawnmower next to the bedroom window and let it run so you can get some sleep.

7. buzzarddriver

buzzarddriver Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    And all those companies that pay a "Fuel Bonus" for achieving above a certain MPG, the driver's put 10 or 15 gallons of "Reefer" fuel in the truck fuel tank at each fuel stop to boost their truck MPG numbers.

D.Tibbitt and Truckermania Thank this.
  8. abyliks

abyliks Road Train Member

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    I fuel at smaller stops but always more then cover it, never actually looked into it.

did dump and equipment work for ten years, almost feels like retirement pulling a fridge, plus it’s the same money and easier in the truck.

D.Tibbitt and Blue Zombie Trucker Thank this.
  9. Harry Flashman

Harry Flashman Medium Load Member

Oct 4, 2019
    My main beef with reefer was not the 2am appointments per se, but the fact they would take forever to unload and keep me awake the whole time.

2am : show up for appointment, get put in staging area

4am: get a phone call to move to a dock door

6am: get another phone call to pay lumper fee

8am: another phone call to leave dock door and go back to staging area

10am: final phone call to pick up bills

Noon: be expected to pickup next load and somehow drive all day while my sleep was completely disrupted the entire previous night.

10. Blue Zombie Trucker

Blue Zombie Trucker Light Load Member

Nov 1, 2017
    Yeah. Can't argue with that, it definitely happens, and it ain't no fun.

On the bright side, though, I am learning to make very good use of the modified split sleeper berth provisions. I probably split at least once a week now, and it always helps out big time.

Harry Flashman Thanks this.
  11. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Reefer customers suck eggplants. 2-8 hours getting a door or getting loaded/unloaded. The receiving customers crack and mangle the pallets and the shipping customers expect me to sweep up the mess the meth heads created for no pay. Receiving meth heads with forklifts empty my trailer and I have to argue with them to get back the freight for the next receiver. Customers schedule 9btrucks at 7am, but they open at 8am and there is no legal parking on or near their property. I only have 10 hours so the other 98 complaints will have wait.

Texas_hwy_287 and Harry Flashman Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.