Does the FMCSA require sleep tests if over on BMI???

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Waterman_99, Oct 29, 2021.

1. Loml

Loml Bobtail Member

Oct 29, 2021

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Loml

Loml Bobtail Member

Oct 29, 2021
    Let me also say I do not have a cdl yet. I'm new but have done enough research to know the consequences of having it in the trucking industry. Guess things have changed alot through the years from what I have read. Kind of frustrating off the start. There are people with one leg/one eye/diabetic/etc that are more functional and capable than some on the road. Taking a brush and painting across everyone with one stroke is unfair.

4. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    What seems more likely, sleep apnea causing people to fall asleep driving or irregular, stupid, unpredictable hours?

Waterman_99 and JC1971 Thank this.
  5. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    This is like a woman who goes to work for Hooters saying she doesn't like the uniform.

Some companies require hair follicle test. So people who don't want them go elsewhere. Some have driver facing cameras. Again some people go elsewhere. Your company wants sleep apnea tested.

It's the reality of the industry. Do you have to like it? Do you have to have it? Nope. Plenty of other companies.

But to get upset about it. Life's too short for that. IMO I'd rather enjoy my time.

6. VA CDL Holder

VA CDL Holder Medium Load Member

Jun 14, 2011
    I think most drivers don’t want to pay for the sleep study out of pocket, as it can cost a lot. I don’t have insurance, but if a company would pay for it, I’d be willing to do the study. Personally I think it’s just another medical shakedown in a society that is afraid of all potential liabilities in life. No one wants blame placed on their bank account. After the last year and a half, does anyone even trust the medical establishment?

Waterman_99 and Rubber duck kw Thank this.
  7. Waterman_99

Waterman_99 Light Load Member

Oct 24, 2021
    Its not that the company wants sleep apnea tested. Its that the nurse practitioner is being a ball buster and is saying since my bmi is over, then she will only give a 1yr cert and during that 1yr I have to go for a sleep study. With how everything has unfolded in America over the last year and a half, I dont trust ANY of these people further then I can throw them. They dont have peoples best interests at heart IMO, and Im not about to mess up my livlihood and have some quack possibly take away my dot cert bc they think theyre a god walking this earth. If i had high blood pressure, diabetes, was so fat I cant wash my butt in the shower, then I might agree. But that aint the case here, and Im not about to open pandoras box just to be compliant to what some yahoo thinks.

Also, does your latest dot exam get uploaded to the clearinghouse or any other fed database?

CorsairFanboy and Rubber duck kw Thank this.
  8. kylefitzy

kylefitzy Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Kansas city,Mo
    This is why I won’t work for a company that requires me to go to their doctor for a physical, I’m fine with paying for it myself.

I started OTR with Maverick in 2013, one of the first things you do is get a physical right there at the terminal. The measure your neck and it if over 15” (I think) you have to get a sleep study. 7 people including me had to get at home sleep study’s. That included a guy who already was on a cpap machine.

I was there for two weeks during training and the next weeks orientation class had 8 people with over 15” necks.

Anybody want to guess how many of us had previously undiagnosed drastic sleep issues? All 15 of us, every single one walked out with a brand new Resmed Cpap and a fat bill for the insurance company. Seems odd to me.

a few years later I paid for two sleep study’s out of my own pocket (around 1000 each) to find out if I actually have sleep apnea and if so, to set a prescription pressure for treatment. When they gave us the machines they just set them on auto and told us to find our own doctor. It was clearly much more about selling the machines then treating the issue.

TL/DR it’s probably a shady scam, you may actually have a sleep problem. Either way you’re getting a cpap

Waterman_99 Thanks this.
  9. Wasted Thyme

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    The DOT physical doctor is not treating you. They are just trying to find out if you have any conditions. Thus they are not going to prescribe your settings. They also don't tell you how much BP medicine to take...etc.

10. kylefitzy

kylefitzy Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Kansas city,Mo
    I never said the person giving me my physical was supposed to treat my sleep apnea.

The company prescribing us the machine probably should though. Right? Isn’t that kind of like a doctor handing you a handful of BP medication and telling you to find another doctor that will tell you how many to take? It’s almost like they were mainly concerned with selling machines and sleep study’s.

The main thing I have a gripe about is 100% of the people having a form a sleep apnea that requires a machine to treat. Pretty incredible.

N00bLaLoosh and Waterman_99 Thank this.
  11. Wasted Thyme

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    Considering you have to go to your personal physician to get the settings prescribed. Every doctor in the country would have to be in on the scam. SMH

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.