Does the trainer/ trainee team drive?

Discussion in 'May Trucking' started by Chinese Bandit, Nov 14, 2016.

1. Chinese Bandit

Chinese Bandit Light Load Member

Oct 18, 2016
    Does the trainer and trainee team drive?
    How many miles must the trainee drive before getting a truck?
    Does May actually pay detention time?

Thanks for all responses.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Not team drive yet. Trainee needs basic training first. Spend a week docking for example regardless of total miles. Then next week trainee has to learn something else etc. When I was a trainer there was a company book and schedule that outlined what trainee was to learn and when during 8 weeks before being tested again by a tester to see if hire to go on own after that period of time.

There is no set miles to run. Sometimes trainee demonstrates a negative problem that totally gets same sent home at some point during training. Other times something is revealed about trainee that needs extra work. Mountain running for example.

With that said, I don't care for detention time because it depends on the company, ask them directly.

When I had my spouse, I had her compressed 8 weeks into two. By the end of the second week we were running full team. Dispatch loved it. LA to Jersey in 65 hours? no problem ZIPP there. My wife as a trainee got to do just about everything there is Ive done in 30 years. Compressed into less than a year. Even after the training was finished, I was still her trainer. The training never stopped. Sometimes I defend her from things she knew nothing about. Until it was time to deal with it such as a hooker asking me for a good time with her overhearing it. She was warned about that happening potentially. So it worked well all around.

Trainees require weeks to really get trained. Over and over and over. Pound it into them. Because one day they are going to get a truck and it will be a reflection on trainer how well or badly trainee did.

Once trainee gets own truck, the future of trucking success or failure lies totally in the hands of the newbie trucker. You might be gone in 3 months once dispatch runs into the ground. (Don't think they wont...) Or you will last 30 years. Who knows?

4. loudtom

loudtom Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2016
    Some trainers treat it like a team apparently so that they get more miles. Ideally the trainer takes the first day or two to show them the basics. The trainer is supposed to be on duty while the trainee is driving or on duty, so if they treat it like a team there is the potential that the trainer will run out of drive time when they need it. My trainer was good, he only stepped in if I asked or he thought it was better if he drove. If your trainer isn't working out, they can give you another one. Just about everything you need to learn to pass is in the book they give you, so just ask about anything that you're unclear about.

There is no time limit. If you look like you can handle everything within a week, they will route you back and you will take your solo test. They will ask you questions about procedures, axle weights, hours of service, a skills course, and a driving test.

May does pay detention after 4 hours of scheduled appointment.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.