Does UPS hire people without experience?

Discussion in 'UPS/UPSF' started by snowbird_89, Jan 13, 2011.

1. snowbird_89

snowbird_89 Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2009
    Massachusetts
    I'm just curious. Would UPS consider hiring somebody that has a CDL with no driving experience? I know lately in my area they have been hiring for seasonal package delivery drivers. Could I maybe get in since I have a CDL?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    Depends on whether or not yours is a union shop, I think. My local UPS dock is union, and they will hire unexperienced. BUT you gotta work the dock for a few years, and eventually bid your way into a local straight truck, and work your way up from there.

4. walleye

walleye Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2007
    Land of Cheese
    All of the UPS drivers are Teamsters,.....

5. Rerun8963

Rerun8963 Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2006
    ova-hereee
    are you speaking of UPS Freight...???

6. squirrelnut1416

squirrelnut1416 Bobtail Member

Jul 29, 2010
    south suburbs of chicago
    Package car you don't need a cdl for, it is just a class C vehicle.

And yes they will hire people off the street, but the odds of that happening are very slim. I've met one driver who did it and you would swear he won the lottery.

7. snowbird_89

snowbird_89 Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Right now, I'm gonna work as a seasonal package delivery driver until October. If I do good, I can get hired again as another seasonal package driver until Xmas. Then there would be a layoff until June. During that time I can either collect or work as a part time package handler. The HR lady told me it can take 2-3 years for someone to get hired on as a permanent position. She told me that it can be a lot sooner depending if people quit, retire, or get fired. Also, everybody starts on the bottom even they have a couple years of experience driving a tractor trailer. She also told me they had a kid around my age that started as a package delivery driver and had very little exp driving a semi truck. After 7 months he got a tractor trailer driving position because someone retired. I hope it works out for me. I hope eventually I can drive a tractor trailer for UPS. They sound like a good company and it sure beats OTR!

8. Drzronnie

Drzronnie Bobtail Member

If you get into package off street hire that would be great but you have to wait for a bid in feeders(trailers) to open up and that can take up to ten+ years and then you go to school for two weeks to make the q list(qualified). That really doesn't guarantee you anything as you will most likely be a fill in guy. You are looking at about 10 years minimum be fore you get your own route and about 20+years to get a day route. Being a Teamster would help.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.