Doing my due diligence

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by eightballwoody, Jul 19, 2019.

1. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    And then I am just the opposite, Personally I would rather make the big bucks and work 3 or 4 months a year.

MartinFromBC Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. eightballwoody

eightballwoody Light Load Member

Jul 19, 2019
    So those of you doing it locally. What are you clearing weekly if I might ask?

4. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    Everybody will be different, it depends on where what kind of freight, what kind of trailer, how many trucks are in the same game. etc. I can tell you the houston area at one time was tough for most kinds of trucking local, but have not lived there in years. Back in the 80's when the oilfield shut down, truckin got super cheap there.

5. eightballwoody

Jul 19, 2019
    Ya. I know everybody will be different which is why I am inquiring about specific testimonies. I know a guy a work with who says its absolutely the way to go. And the money is good.
    It's kinda funny though. I have been reading quite a bit online lately about the pros and the cons. With all the things people say is bad, there are still a TON of o/o trucks running around. It obviously can't be that bad.

6. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    REO6205 and MartinFromBC Thank this.
  7. OldeSkool

OldeSkool Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2018
    Arkansas
    Depends alot on what you do and the hours you work, but most local guys would consider $3,500-$4,000 a week decent.
    Some jobs you might make up to $5,500-$6,000 but it will be seasonal and not last long.
    Fuel of course is your biggest expense probably run about $1,200-$1,500 a week.
    Obviously those numbers are a wild guess somewhat depending where you live and what you haul. The best ratio I have heard is you get to keep one third the money your truck makes. That's fairly accurate. The rest better go to business account and expense to stay afloat.

8. eightballwoody

Jul 19, 2019
    I can live with 1k per week in my pocket after expenses, taxes and etc. I don't have to worry about health insurance since my wife has benefits with her job. If I lease on to a company, wouldn't there fuel break help me save money?

9. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Buy a pre emissions truck, save thousands a year on repairs.

ChevyCam and Intothesunset Thank this.
  10. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    I saw that. Notice it said a buck thirty per loaded mile? I sure hope theres some huge accessorials along with that.

11. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    I don't know how accurate the figure is but I've heard that over 80% of new OOs fail within the first year.
    Sure, you see a lot of them around but check in two years and see how many are still operating.

12. eightballwoody

Jul 19, 2019
    I just get the sense that nobody wants you to be an o/o unless you have 50k in the bank after you’ve secured your truck other things lined up. Well, obviously in a perfect world, that would be ideal. Unfortunately, we don’t live in Disneyland. I can tell you this, if I was able to save that kind of money, why would I stop what I’m doing? So maybe the reason isn’t money. It’s do I want to keep pushing a hand truck in 20 years. And before you say you can do it, tell me how much food service your doing now.

Gearjammin' Penguin and starmac Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.