Dollar general account

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Jacob20, Oct 4, 2022.

1. FozzyNOK

FozzyNOK Road Train Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Oklahomistan
    Nothing has changed.. All of this is true for the most part. The new "purpose built" DG stores are almost universally blindsides from the active lot to the unload areas. The old stores that were bought on the cheap in the older side of town are nightmares because they are in areas built up with 40 foot trailers were long. The DG accounts are work comp nightmares due to the unloading 1000 pound rolltainers onto rickety cheap liftgates in uneven ground. LOTS of hand, shoulder, and wrist injuries! There is money in it, but only if you can get good at it in a short period of time. They attract new drivers because its closer to home, promised more income and promised more money. When I worked for one of the big carriers out of DG, in a three month period, I onboarded close to 300 drivers and we had (not counting Work Comp injuries because I didn't work those) normally more accidents than the days of the month... Choose wisely..

tscottme, Lonesome, lual and 1 other person Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    If the old timers with a company are staying away from a haul there's always a good reason.
    Likewise, if a company is always looking for drivers it's because people don't stay. There's always a reason for that, too.

tscottme, Lonesome, pete781693 and 2 others Thank this.
  4. Freight Slayer

Freight Slayer Bobtail Member

Oct 12, 2022
    I’m experienced and physically fit so I like them but I must say they are not for everyone. The money is right for what you have to do and they are all day runs, not bad to me.

Moosetek13 and ATLAS81 Thank this.
  5. MSWS

MSWS Light Load Member

Jun 30, 2022
    I don't think your homes proximity to the DC has much to do with your hometime on this kind of account. For your 34 hour reset, it's all about how close your home is to the last delivery you make before running out of hours. If you're asking whether or not you might get to sleep at home a few nights a week, that's determined by how close you live to your next delivery.

You said you're looking at Werner. Don't count on delivering to stores too close to your home. They're probably gonna send you to those places most DG drivers don't wanna go. I think they contract with companies like Werner so they can keep their own drivers closer to home, and to not have to pay workers comp when you inevitably hurt yourself

6. FozzyNOK

FozzyNOK Road Train Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Oklahomistan
    I concur.. since DG brought on their own fleet.. the gravy loads went to their daycabs.. then of course they take all the good loads and then they get perpetually worse as they filter down to the outside carriers

ATLAS81 Thanks this.
  7. Devgrp

Devgrp Bobtail Member

Nov 10, 2022
    It's not as bad as it seems. I did my training for 21 days on the dg fresh account out of Clayton NC. We ran to NC, SC and GA and it's went very well. If you are quick learner and you have a good trainer, then you'll be good. Backings are tight and you have to do close quarters maneuver. The biggest issues I have is people trying to leave or pull into the lot when you are trying to back. My advice is to scope out the location and know what entrance to go before you get there.
    As far as getting home daily, that probably won't happen unless you are back at the dc daily which won't happen. We went out on Monday and came back Tuesday evening or Wed afternoon depending on how far we drove, then we had to wait maybe a couple hours for out next load.

Lonesome Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.