Dollar General Dedicated

Discussion in 'US Xpress' started by Hometime, Dec 31, 2008.

1. rubbergearsnextyear

rubbergearsnextyear Heavy Load Member

Nov 7, 2007
    Lexington, SC
    Preciate ya tea. Gonna have to think about it for a bit. About due for home so I'll have a while to ponder it. I've often passed by those stores and pondered how one gets the truck positioned in there to unload lol. Some stores look easy and others look extremely challenging.

I guess you get the hang of it after a while. So when you unload, you're basically just stacking the toppers on a hand truck to take the store and then just pushing the rolltainers onto the lift and off to the store? In other words, this isn't like touching every box on the truck and stacking it somewhere to move right?

So each day you basically del to the stores and return to the terminal? I suppose if you have a long day you just shut down at a truck stop or the like?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Teaforone

Teaforone Light Load Member

Nov 16, 2008
    In the Sandhills, NC
    You will not have to touch anything in the roll tainers. The employees of dollar general will do all that. They don't like you to stop at truck stops for the night because they can't get you a load. You will have to try to get to the terminal everyday. The only time I was out overnight was when I had a bent rim on a trailer.

Also, I am not sure if Swift does it, but for USX there was no fuel routing. You basically fueled wherever you want and whenever. Swift might be different.

rubbergearsnextyear Thanks this.
  4. WhiteHawk

WhiteHawk Bobtail Member

May 21, 2009
    Nashville, TN
    Removed post.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2009
  5. P The Fat Trucker

P The Fat Trucker Bobtail Member

Jun 4, 2009
    youngmansoupie, japan
    i hope they pay you guys a decent wage to unload them trlrs.

6. timmers09

timmers09 Bobtail Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Conneaut, Ohio
    I drove for Werner, dedicated for dollar general out of South Boston Virginia, Swift also ran from this DC we had 7 state radius VA,W VA, NC,MD,DE, NJ and eastern PA

7. dwayne

dwayne Medium Load Member

Apr 19, 2008
  8. wbgh

wbgh Bobtail Member

Sep 13, 2009
    NY
    Wow that's crazy! Any update on that? Did it go back to trial? Did Dollar General offer this Robert Guy a settlement?

With that being said, at least good comes out of it! Since there is case law on it now, if someone is injured while on the job Dollar General cannot file a motion for Judgment saying a US Xpress Driver is an employee of Dollar General making them immune to a lawsuit if a US Xpress Driver on a Dollar General dedicated account is injured while unloading at a Dollar General. Craziness!

9. wbgh

wbgh Bobtail Member

Sep 13, 2009
    NY
    Does anyone know if they take new drivers on the US Xpress Account? I have a class B (I drive a school bus now) and am thinking about going to get my Class A because I am worn out and Dollar General merchandise doesn't talk back to you like passengers do and don't have Jr license for a couple of months telling you should be going faster in inclement weather... :biggrin_25510: Oh sorry for ranting... lol

Anyway I want to know if I went back to school and got my class A if they would let a new driver onto this account? Would they put you out with a trainer on that account or would you have to go with a trainer otr for 2-3weeks?

Also can you do this account in reverse? Like lets say instead of living in the area of the account could I live in Upstate NY and drive to Ohio to pick up my load at the start of my week? Do they send drivers out to areas they are from? Would they send someone like me from OH to Upstate NY or through home once or twice a week to unload in stores around here and then back to the terminal when empty?

Thanks in advance for the replies!

10. aml1984

aml1984 Bobtail Member

May 13, 2009
    West Virginia
    WBGH, I TRAINED ON THE USX DOLLAR GENERAL ACCOUNT BACK IN '07 AND AT THAT TIME THEY WERE TAKING STUDENT DRIVERS ON. I COULDN'T TELL YOU ABOUT NOW THOUGH SINCE TIMES HAVE DEFINITELY CHANGED SINCE THEN.

I WILL TELL YOU THOUGH THAT IT IS ALL DRIVER UNLOAD AND IT HELPS TO BE IN SHAPE BECAUSE THE WORK IS VERY PHYSICALLY DEMANDING. AS FOR THE TRAINING, YOU USUALLY GO TO USX's ORIENTATION FOR 3 DAYS, AND IF HIRED YOU'LL GET HOOKED UP WITH A TRAINER FROM THAT ACCOUNT.

YOU'LL BE WITH HIM FOR ABOUT A MONTH OR UNTIL YOU GET 150 DRIVING HOURS IN, THEN YOU'LL GO TO A TERMINAL AND DO YOUR UPGRADE TEST. THIS CONSISTS OF A MAP TEST, A LOGGING TEST, AND A ROAD TEST. ONCE YOU PASS ALL THAT, THEY MAY GIVE YOU A TRUCK AT THE TERMINAL,BUT USUALLY THEY'LL SEND YOU DOWN TO THE DOLLAR GENERAL DC TO GET IT. THEY PAY FOR THAT BY THE WAY.

AS FAR AS YOU LIVING IN UPSTATE NY, THAT SHOULDN' T BE A PROBLEM AS MY TRAINER ALSO LIVED IN UPSTATE NY. YOU MAY GET SOME STORES IN UPSTATE NY, BUT BEING THE "LOW MAN ON THE TOTEM POLE", THEY USUALLY SEND YOU EVERYWHERE UNTIL YOU GET MORE ESTABLISHED. ONCE THEY'RE COMFORTABLE WITH YOU AND GET TO KNOW YOU MORE, THEY'LL LET YOU RUN WHATEVER AREA YOU WANT. GOD BLESS AND GOOD LUCK:biggrin_25514:

11. rdavidson13

rdavidson13 Bobtail Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Dayton, Ohio
    I grossed $1400 some weeks on the DG account for USX....but found a local dedicated they have where I am home every day and make a bit less....but love the company ! They have been very good to me !

Be Safe Out There !

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.