Dollar General Private Fleet?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by STexan, Jan 1, 2019.

1. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I observed a Dollar General truck today [in Texas] that had “Dollar General” on the tractor doors. (Not a contracted outside carrier. How long has this been going on? Do they have significant plans to build out their own private fleet?

Just curious if this is the case and if so, what is the motivation behind this? I have my suspicions but wondering if anyone has seen any stories related to this. To me, it may be a large tell of how the transportation industry and divisions may be planning to deal with unreliable driver asset problems the industry as a whole is dealing with today, especially with “mega fleets”

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
    MagnumaMoose Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    We are hiring experienced Class A CDL Drivers to join our team. We have a fleet of brand-new 2016 Cascadia Freightliners. As part of Dollar General's trucking operation, you will deliver product from our distribution center to our stores where we fulfill our mission of serving others every day.

Driving Jobs at Dollar General

4. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    So it’s been going on at least a few years? Then they are being cautiously slow and perhaps they’re finding out how hard it is to find good drivers, and how costly it is to keep them in a crappy job.

They may be finding out that paying an outside carrier $1.25 mile for service that may or may not be reliable is a bargain after all.

PE_T, Rugerfan, Mattflat362 and 3 others Thank this.
  5. mitrucker

mitrucker Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Lapeer, MI
    34cpm to hand unload at tight crappy little locations????? Not a chance!!!!!!

PE_T, tscottme, Rugerfan and 12 others Thank this.
  6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I could not do dollar general for a million dollars.

The ones in our area either get robbed while unloading or you have to back across a 4 lane divided into a parking lot flowing with cars coming and going on both sides of you while you are blind siding that side dock. It's impossible. But they have done it.

And when you do unload the thing and leave have you actually seen that space behind the dock the length of the store? Piles everywhere higher than a man. Disorganized for days. It's a wonder the store has anything on the shelf in a timely manner with a mutinous staff of maybe two.

stillwurkin Thanks this.
  7. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I found this for what it's worth. Sounds like they're just trying to get a feel for what's involved with running a private fleet. They don't seem prepared to go in full bore at this time [given their initial target fleet size]

Is Dollar General Making Progress on Its Profitability Initiatives? -- The Motley Fool

snipped from above ...
    Improving transportation efficiency
    As I discussed this spring, higher product shipping costs have recently cut into retailers' profits, and in response, Dollar General has employed a multi-faceted approach to improving transportation efficiency. The company's solutions include truckload optimization and the trimming of "stem miles" -- i.e., miles a truck must travel before reaching its intended delivery route.

Dollar General also is expanding its fleet of private trucks to gain a cost edge. As of the second quarter, the company remains on track to widen its private fleet from 80 tractors at the end of fiscal 2017 to 200 by the current fiscal year's end.

The dollar-store giant has invested in distribution infrastructure to improve the efficiency of its network. New distribution centers under construction in Longview, Texas and Amsterdam, New York will launch in calendar year 2019. CEO Vasos observed in the recent earnings call that the new distribution points will help decrease trucking stem miles.

8. FozzyNOK

FozzyNOK Road Train Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Oklahomistan
    I was a safety rep for one of the DC's for a large carrier... had from 150 - 250 drivers on the account at various times.. the first three months I was there, I trained / evaluated over 250 drivers...I stopped counting after that. The summer turnover is well over 100% a month. the job itself is brutal. For experienced hands who can drive well and know where all the corners on their trucks are at ALL times, it can be profitable.. for the average driver or the new driver, its almost always a bad deal and very damaging if not fatal to a career.. The accident rate there for my fleet was abysmal! A good month JUST for my account was 15 -16 accidents a month. I had months there with over 30 a month. Not many "real" accidents. mostly equipment and property damage.. A LOT of property damage! The DCs' do a very poor job at loading the trailers with freight on and on top of the rolltainers properly, the stores are usually cheap places that have been turned into stores that are on the cheaper/older side of towns. There are new stores that were built as dollar generals, but even they are laid out pretty poorly for truck access. pushing these rolltainers off onto the liftgates can be dangerous! If the rolltainers are loaded full of bottled water or bleach, they are way over a thousand pounds. Add some steep ramps or gravel.. and its terrible. The liftgates and the trailers are all pretty beaten up. The equipment is rather poorly maintained. You will have normally three stops in a trailer, after unloading the store's freight, you are normally required to load the empty rolltainers and dunnage that were left during the last delivery, Lots of strapping and load securement to work out. Can you make money with them? Sure.. I had some darned good people there.. but the account ATE a lot of well meaning people who just went into the meat grinder. Be wary.. be very very wary.

9. weirdpuckett

weirdpuckett Road Train Member

Jul 14, 2010
    This article makes it seem as though yo ull only find these types of stores out in the downtrodden, backwoods areas.......nope.......they exist everywhere.....

buddyd157 and Chinatown Thank this.
  10. FozzyNOK

FozzyNOK Road Train Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Oklahomistan
    Including downtrodden, backwoods areas.. the facts are that the vast majority of the Dollar Generals are in poor areas and are almost always in the older areas of town where they can get properties cheap. These areas are rarely truck friendly.

tscottme, MachoCyclone and REO6205 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.