Dollar General Private Fleet?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by STexan, Jan 1, 2019.

1. weirdpuckett

weirdpuckett Road Train Member

Jul 14, 2010
    Thats why I mentioned the Marines and military guys doing it.......they are gung ho boy.......gung ho.... and would maintain fitness.......Dollar General could utilize this idea in their recruiting scheme.........right? Lol

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I’m a man. I’m as good a driver as you will find. Been doing this driving thing for decades. I think I understand that job ... enough to know I won’t touch it with a 10 foot pole. I don’t care if it’s a $1.00 plus accessorial pay.

Only way I’d do that work is with a 12 foot high x 24 foot box straight truck. One load, one store. But I get it. That’s not cost effective. But that’s my stipulation.

InTooDeep Thanks this.
  4. weirdpuckett

Jul 14, 2010
    I mean lets face it, most drivers just want to drive.....or more unfortunate, cant or shouldnt do much more than drive.......but, there are those that desire a bit more.......I wonder if D G has focused at any degree, on targeting these types? If no, than they should start......D G has multiple issues.....going on at once ,perpetually.......they have to solve them or they are finished........

5. weirdpuckett

Jul 14, 2010
    I get ya Texan.......I made my point within that comment itself......when I say " real men only need apply" it would attract the type of worker my business needs........not that I believe the statement that only these men are real....its the marketing aspect.....that statement, "real men only need apply" is exactly what will attract those fit for THAT job would eagerly respond too........afterall, thats how the Marines get their recruits.......thats how the Seals get theirs........green berets......I saw the Seals film in boot camp, it did NOT appeal to me, but to others , became a mission ........D G needs to go that route a bit......

6. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Can you blame them? They get paid to drive. Most of the time the unload pay is a literal joke. Minimum wage all the while eating the clock away that one can be making twice as much actually driving.

7. weirdpuckett

Jul 14, 2010
    You make a great point! With the new Elogs its ever more important to rightly and fairly compensate drivers who spend most of their time at docks unloading........so theres even an increased amount of pressure on D G , Mc Clanes and the like.......new challenges.....new solutions.....I bet we are going to see some amazing pay incentives coming from some of these companies! Maybee to the point of dislodging a few of us to seriously consider moving over to them!.... yes....its possible......

8. weirdpuckett

Jul 14, 2010
    All Im ultimately saying, is that this business model of D G isnt, hasnt, and surely will not be enough to sustain them......they must try something CRAZY soon.......or fall.......it might just only SEEM crazy at first.......

9. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Not as long as there continues to be a flow of drivers “willing to give it a shot at questionable wages”. Their model will work if the driver wages that will have to ultimately materialize can be factored into the prices of their goods.

10. weirdpuckett

Jul 14, 2010
    I present to you Walmart.......they have a private fleet, bring an impressive degree of line items at amazingly low prices.....and, they pay their drivers What kind of wage for simple, drop and hook services? How in the world?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.