Dollar General Private Fleet?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by STexan, Jan 1, 2019.

1. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    This whole “blame the GPS” thing is really getting old. Fact is, either
    1. He didn’t have it in a properly configured truck mode
    2. Or he earlier ignored GPS directions
    Either way. They may not be perfect but they won’t route that way if properly configured and followed and used properly. The driver is simply trying to redirect blame pure and simple and frankly I’m getting sick and tired of it. Fire his butt. DAC him into a hole so deep he’ll never see daylight. The trucking industry doesn’t need this level of stupid on the roads.

buddyd157 Thanks this.
  4. weirdpuckett

weirdpuckett Road Train Member

Jul 14, 2010
    What ,I ask , does Dollar General have to really lose in persuing getting their own private fleet? When we see this kind of "service" coming from contractors?

buddyd157 Thanks this.
  5. weirdpuckett

Jul 14, 2010
    I absolutely SECOND that notion! Ever since trucking was De regulated in 1980, every swingin d'%& with a little capitol, and 1/2 a brain got into the biz.....now we see it morphed into this over- inflated, brainless movement packed with irresponsible activity......the companies MUST perform a extremely COMPREHENSIVE skills, I.Q test for finding truly qualified and competent candidates.......no....a chimpanzee cannot drive truck.......regardless of public opinions......clean it up now!

6. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I agree but I doubt the DG top brass has a clue what’s going to be involved to eliminate or even just reduce these types of “stupid driver” incidents.

7. weirdpuckett

Jul 14, 2010
    Only 3 things working together- 1. Pre hire qualifications
    2.Excellent training
    3.Incentives/pay

8. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I don’t think they’re going to be able to do at less 2 of those things.

9. weirdpuckett

Jul 14, 2010
    Why not? Lack of willingness? Thats the only obstacle I can see....they cant use the " cost effectiveness" excuse, not now ......they are spending countless revenue dealing with this lax system that theyve created.......

10. weirdpuckett

Jul 14, 2010
    We all can point out drivers who have had longevity in their positions.....and we can , if observing through clear lenses , determine as to what it might be promoting that longevity.....take a Walmart Driver ( 10 years ago- not today) He has no intention of leaving, and will do what it takes to stay onboard......why was this? Because he had skin in the game- something to lose......thats why.......amazing what happens when value couples with value.......iant it?

11. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    No they’re not. Not with outside contractors. Their cost is fixed. Werner or whoever is having to eat this screw up. If anything, major incidents like this just reinforces the cost feasibility and viability of using outside carriers.

Werner and the other megas is the one needs to take a serious look at their hiring and training system if they want to continue contracting to major national accounts.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.