Don't be "this guy"

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by Just passing by, Nov 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. not4hire

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
  4. not4hire

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    TONS of back-and-forth in a thread in the forbidden zone... none of my very simple questions answered. The simplest one:
    • Why is the distance between degrees of longitude the same at equal degrees of latitude, regardless of whether north or south (i.e., at 40 degrees north or south, the distance between a degree of longitude is 53 miles)?
    Because the earth is a globe.

5. not4hire

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    Not a riddle; it is easily answered, and your assumption is correct.

In theory, you should weigh about 0.3% less at the equator than at the poles. However, due to the fact the Earth is not a perfect sphere, but is an oblate spheroid, you weigh 0.5% less at the equator than at the poles.

- Does your weight change between the poles and the equator? (Intermediate) - Curious About Astronomy? Ask an Astronomer

6. mpd240

mpd240 Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2011
    Minnesota
    What causes the tides on a flat plane.

7. not4hire

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    There are southern polar flight routes just as there are northern polar flight routes. The overwhelming bias towards northern routes is summed up in one simple word: demand. Look at the population and wealth distribution of those who need and can afford intercontinental travel; North America (USA, Canada), Western Europe, Middle East, Asia. There are also operational considerations, e.g., emergencies and/or diversion. There are numerous airfields in the north that can be used for landing. In the Antarctic and southern oceans? Not so much.

Commercial airline pilots are kept on a very short leash for numerous practical, operational and legal reasons, none of which have anything to do with conspiratorial paranoia. Private aviation has significantly greater latitude in flight planning, but must adhere to certain reasonable exceptions. No different than driving a commercial motor vehicle vs. driving a private motor vehicle.

Antarctica is "guarded" largely because there is no indigenous population (therefore, no "natural owners") and so the rest of us don't eff it up like we have most of the rest of the planet. Antarctica is "governed" by treaty.

Tb0n3 Thanks this.
  8. Flat Earth Trucker

Flat Earth Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 19, 2018

This video explains what is seen with the power lines in lake Ponchartrain.

9. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    I just remember that footage showing the Chicago skyline from across Lake Michigan, I think from over in Michigan somewhere and never seemed to get a believable answer from anybody as to why it would be visible from that distance. If somebody had said,

“nah, your math is wrong, there would not be enough horizon drop off to hide the skyline based on the trigonometry of a sphere aproximately 25,000 miles in circumference.”

But as far as I know it is not hard to figure out how much horizon drop off there should be 1,2,10, 100 miles away, and something doesn’t add up. There are countless documented examples out there of large objects being visible from very far distances that theoretically should be impossible on a globe earth. Even “oblate spheroid” wouldn’t seem to account for that.

Flat Earth Trucker Thanks this.
  10. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    Yes I’m aware of all that mostly, but don’t make me laugh with that excuse as to why Antarctica is off limits to non-government entities (for the most part.) Can’t prove it obviously but my suspicions are that it is off limits because there is something being hidden there that the powers that be don’t want the normies seeing or knowing about. don’t know what it is but I do know a nonsense excuse when I hear one.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.