Don't drive teams

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Sixela918, Jul 2, 2022.

1. pumpkinishere

pumpkinishere Heavy Load Member

Apr 21, 2021
    Very cute cat

Boondock and WesternPlains Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pumpkinishere

Apr 21, 2021
    Lol. You could never sleep in a moving truck unless you were driving. Please share your locations I’m not sure I want to be driving the same roads as you if you are sleeping and driving.

Geekonthestreet, Boondock and tscottme Thank this.
  4. JoeyJunk

JoeyJunk Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    Washington, PA
    I teamed for a month or so with Schneider in 2009 or 2010. Two of us left dedicated. Did not get a single team load. He was awful with everything but driving. I had to do all the paperwork and notes. I barley slept while truck was moving. Wasn’t my cup of tea.

5. Dennixx

Dennixx Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2010
    twin cities
    I've been in the sleeper during 2 wrecks.
    Once in 1986 working for 3M private fleet.
    Driver was north bound on the Pennyrile parkway (41) in Kentucky and didn't notice a car coming up fast in the lane next to him as another was stopped taking a left at the crossover. Woman swerved at the last second to miss the turning vehicle and clipped our fender/bumper. My guy did a hard brake throwing me out of the bunk.
    Was not restrained.
    Woman who hit us was 200 feet out in the cornfield. Neither she nor I was injured other than bruises.

12 years ago on 94 in NW Minnesota westbound was sleeping when a eastbound car crossed the median and struck a bus and a car on our side.
    Bus went off the road nearly into a pond and the motorist perished. Crash happened over a ridge and my driver did a panic brake alongside a gas tanker to avoid striking the crash scene.
    A superb job. I didn't even wake till 10 minutes later because the truck was stopped..lol
    I was strapped in.

6. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

I agree with you. I would never team with some stranger except for a brief period such as with a trainer. Sleeping in a moving truck, on mediocre roads, with lots of traffic, possibly even a reefer droning 18 inches away from the sleeper wall is just far, far more than I would expect to work for me. If someone knows they are a heavy sleeper, maybe they would sleep well enough. I'm closer to a light sleeper. Nobody would ever recommend loud noises and frequent shaking as improving anyone's sleep quality. The above applies even if you have 100% confidence in the co-driver's ability and judgement. The reasons above also mean I've never driven team for extended periods so take that into account before anyone relies on my comments.

pumpkinishere and Boondock Thank this.
  7. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

The OP, like you, is giving his opinion based on experiences. It's not an order.

8. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Too many drivers are operating in their autonomic mind. They’re pathological. I go to pass. I’ll increase speed to be courteous to traffic. Don’t pull the “Prime” jam up the freeway bit. Then I’ll decrease back to speed I was going when I caught up to him. I’m absolutely having to keep the higher speed until I’m out of their awareness. It’s gotten bad. Real bad. Them speeding up to contend with me. Had one today. He just had to stay all over me. Then cut me off. These idiots aren’t thinking.
    Then I’m supposed to sleep in a truck with one of them driving? I don’t think so.

9. supergreatguy

supergreatguy Road Train Member

Nov 26, 2020
    It’s 100% safe and easy, just use the rumble strips for guidance!

pumpkinishere and Boondock Thank this.
  10. Plantfoam

Plantfoam Medium Load Member

Aug 18, 2015
    DFW
    I've been teaming with my wife for 7 years now, and I think I've got one of the sweetest gigs in trucking. With that being said, I don't think I could team with another guy. We share the bottom bunk, and the top is storage. It's nice not having to find parking for a 10hr break. Trying to sleep on a road like I-84 in New York would be one of the biggest negatives.

11. pumpkinishere

Apr 21, 2021
    My husband and I team and generally we try to stop the truck at least 4 or 5 hrs a night so we can both get good sleep. Me I can sleep, if real bumpy roads I may wake up and say daum you off roaring, then I go right back to sleep. My husband not so much. If he falls asleep if he is woke up it takes him forever to fall back asleep.

Plantfoam and Nahbrown Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.