Dont Go to Knight

Discussion in 'Knight' started by LVRoadDog, Jan 13, 2012.

1. LVRoadDog

LVRoadDog Bobtail Member

Jul 22, 2010
    las vegas, nv
    Just got home from a long 9 hour greyhound ride when I should have been heading home in my own truck. But it was not to be I guess. And after reading the posts on here about Knight I am kinda relieved I was sent packing. Now before I say why I am gonna say this. I know there will be some on here that will defend Knight and say I probably did something wrong. That is what the first amendment gives you the right to do express your opinion even if it is misguided and innacurate. Ok that said a little about my experience. First off I wall say that I already worked for one of the other mega carriers with a bad rep (Prime) worked for them for a year and was canned for violating their no idle policy (at least that was the excuse I was given) in the middle of winter. sorry not getting hypothermia to save a billionaire a few dollars. (corporate greed what a joke) ok that was in 2008 I was unemployed for over a year at the height of the recession. couldnt find work and I was looking in two states. found work outside of trucking got back into trucking in march of last year drove for an owner op for almost a year. still technically employed by him however he has old equipment and it is currently down and he doesnt have the money to get it fixed. so im in waiting mode. ok so my criminal record is clean no duis no violations on my mvr. so with two years experience (10 months being recent) clean criminal past clean mvr good reference from my boss, i see this add on craigslist (first mistake there any company that advertises on there usually is not worth your time.) I apply last saturday through the Knight website as the add says. I see their qualifications and I meet all. I apply. On monday they call and ask if i want to catch a greyhound bus that night i say yes because i need to work and the truck isnt gonna be moving anytime soon but the bills dont ever stop so i rush around and spend all day monday getting things in order and taking care of things so i can catch an 8pm bus. ride 10 hours on the greyhound and go straight to orirntation with little to no sleep am there till 4 pm get to hotel and relax and pass out. day two head to orientation at 7 am there till 4pm go through all the policies do the smith system test which i was told i had the best score on. On day one i eas given forms to fill out explaining gaps in employment and to provide references. the gap in question was my over a year unemployed. on day three i have them to turn in. dont even get in my chair they say the recruiter laura needs to see me i take the forms to her and she informs me that safety did not apprive my app and that the shuttle would be there any minute to take me to the greyhound. Nowin my orientation there was three of us with experience the non experienced ones just out of school have a seperate orientation. but sat in for some of ours. out of the three of us there was me and another guy. he had just recently been fired from werner from getting cited for an unsafe manuver. this was recent both citation and termination also he had two years employment gap. all he needed was a letter from his wife saying she was the earner during that time and that he was a stay at home parent and he has the job. huh? I could have lied and put down a fake company and said that I worked for bobs lawn care or something and gave a friends number and had them call that and he say yes he owns bobs lawn care and i worked for him for x amount of time but im not a dishonest person. (maybe you need to be in this business, the dishonest companies make billions off the backs of the drivers while the drivers go broke) so basically i was sent packing because i was honest. this recruiter laura said well if you drive for gilrose a little longer we can have you back. after the way i was treated and the things i have read about this shady bunch i dont want to go back. good thing i found out before i signed on the dotted line or even worse got into the lease program. what I dont get is what does a little over year of unemployment when most of the country was unemployed have to do with safety. i fit the requirements passed the drug tests and physical and have clean records just dont get it. but my advise to anyone looking for work dont go to knight. see a Knight add or they call you run far away.

OverDrive Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 7122894003481

7122894003481 Bobtail Member

Sep 6, 2011
  4. Kansas

Kansas Road Train Member

Apr 14, 2009
    aircap, Ks.
    Oh thank God, at first I thought that was a pic of the caps lock button.

5. OverDrive

OverDrive "A Watchman on the Walls"

Knight is really a 'stickler' about employment gaps as I also found out. After getting laid off from an 8 yr aerospace job (survived 8 layoffs over 5 yrs B4 getting caught in one, following the end of the Cold War) , trying to keep my house & stay in Tucson, I looked for work and took several jobs, including working for some Temp co.s over 5 yrs, and had a 1 mo. 'stint' as an "Underground Utilities Locator' (blue staker) B4 the local branch started to fold and I left when I saw the hand writing on the wall. That is when I went to CDL school and drove for DSW for 3 yrs (clean driving record) B4 applying to Knight. After filling out my paperwork with Knight and completing orientation, I started driving for them but they kept coming back and asking me for more 'back up' about that co. that I worked for just 1 mo. The co. had moved out of AZ, been kicked out of Las Vegas (a bad 'locater person' almost blew up McCarron airport there by not locating a gas main B4 digging and resulting in a major explosion) and was struggling to stay alive in their home state of CA (owned under a diff corp name). They couldnt find this co. and were threatening me to let me go! Fortunately, I dug thru my old tax filings and W2's, and found a W2 that Knight would accept!

Bottom line, I had well over 7 yrs of verify able employment with only one 1 mo. gap that they couldnt verify.....seemed really ridiculous to me, and I was ready to walk out following orientation and starting out because of all the hullabaloo over it! BTW, I ended up working for Knight for 5 yrs B4 voluntarily leaving with all clean records.

6. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    Knight will be lucky to be in business after the settlement for the lawsuit as a result of them hiding a truck and destroying evidence after their driver hit and ran when he splattered an accident victim all over the highway .
    http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:83ajT-rTkeUJ:www.truckinjurylawyerblog.com/uploads/file/Knight%2520Trucking%2520Sopliated%25202011%2520%25202011_WL_734282_6-12-11_1604%5B1
    Another megacarrier unwilling to be held accountable . I really believe Knight hasn't asked the driver for an explanation why body parts were all over the truck .
    Are you wannabes really desperate enough to work for people like this ?

7. Professional-Trucker

Professional-Trucker Heavy Load Member

Oct 31, 2011
    California
    I was a knight. What's wrong with knight transport? You can't expect to make millions as a trucker.:biggrin_25512:But you can expect to be ran hard at KNIGHT.:biggrin_25525:

8. bigblue19

bigblue19 Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Midland WA
    This has nothing to do with Knight. It is Federal rules that require you to not have any gaps more then 30 days that can not be accounted for. You where not prepared for the hiring process and got sent packing.

All you have to do if you have gaps more then 30 days is have a notarized statements saying what you where doing for the time period.

This has been on every trucking application I have filled out. 10yr history means just that.

____________________________________________________________________________________

The notarized statement should say that you where actively seeking employment during the period of unemployment because trucking outfits are leary of applicants who can afford to sit around the house and not work.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.