Don't like chains?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Stump, Feb 29, 2012.

1. otherhalftw

otherhalftw R.I.P.

Nov 18, 2008
    CA...gold discovery foothills
    A tad bit excessive maybe?

[ame]http://youtu.be/HW4IZ0Flh3M[/ame]

Mommas_money_maker Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Giggles the Original

Giggles the Original Road Train Member

didnt we just go thru all of this a few days ago????

4. Mommas_money_maker

Mommas_money_maker Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    North Carolina
    I dont knock ppl for it, its your choice and you know your limitations. I personally dont like the hot doggers out there sometimes that drive 50 or better with chains on, guess they never had one break before. :biggrin_25524:

I live in WA so dealing with snoqualmie or white pass is an everyday event if I work local hauling some cans on my step. coast to coast runs I deal with all the states that have bad winters all the time. This year has been pretty mild in comparison

5. Licensed to kill

Licensed to kill Heavy Load Member

Dec 31, 2010
    Alberta
    Interesting point. Makes me wonder what is riskier, running chains and carrying on, or travelling among the melee of stampeding truckers trying to make up for lost time once the road clears. Like every other driving condition, it's not you, it's all the other drivers that you have to watch out for. I think "smaggs" hit on an very valid point. while there are a multitude of reasons/excuses that people who refuse to chain use, I suspect that the simple fear of the unknown is likely the REAL reason for most. Everybody is uncomfortable with the thought of doing something that they have never done before and often, if we are forced or just plain decide to do something that scares us we often find that it wasn't quite a bad as we envisioned.

P.S. yes, I realize that "melee of stampeding truckers" might be a bit of an exaggeration, just trying to make a point.

6. Giggles the Original

see???? thats what i mean....GRRRRR, lol, its not that i am afraid to drive with them...or cant......nevermind said it all before no one paid attention then....aint gonna now...LOL i would just rather run outlaw....have many times....

7. Mommas_money_maker

Oct 2, 2011
    North Carolina
    I dont think its an exaggeration, have seen it several times when a pass or road was closed for hrs.

8. Giggles the Original

y'all chain, i dont....wont ever change each others mind on it...you have your reasons to chain, i have my reasons not too....set in my ways after all these years....got along just fine all these years without....why start now????

9. Giggles the Original

i see fingers flying furiously in the air from here......trying to type their post...LOL

10. Mommas_money_maker

Oct 2, 2011
    North Carolina
    I guess what you arent hearing is that I agree with you for whatever reason you have to not chain and no I wouldnt start now either.

My original post was agreeing with the OP. If you ARENT even planning on chaining then DONT clog up the chain up area with your truck. I like some room for my truck so I can chain and move on.:biggrin_25519:

Giggles the Original Thanks this.
  11. Giggles the Original

like i said before, never have parked in one, never will, if i am gonna sit for a bit, i want a shower, bathroom and food...LOL

Mommas_money_maker Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.