Do's and Don't when pulling into a truck stop?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by OEF08, Oct 8, 2011.

1. dooberhoopa

dooberhoopa Light Load Member

Jul 30, 2011
    Upstate New York
    I kinda wish they would designate some bobtail spots in the t/s. It sucks when there are 4 or 5 bobtails taking up whole spots. I understand it isn't their fault but if the stop had some space to put in some smaller spots out front for them it would help the rest of us out immensely

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    Pretty basic but when you're walking in the lot pay attention. Especially near the fuel island.

4. driverkc

driverkc Light Load Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Kansas City, KS
    Give wide bearth to the bull haulers trailer. Especially if he's loaded. You ever see what a steer can do if it's bung is lined up perfectly with one of the holes on a trailer?

Well I haven't, but I heard of this one time...

5. OEF08

OEF08 Bobtail Member

Sep 14, 2011
    St Louis
    I've only been driving a short while, but my dad has almost forty years of OTR. He has noticed a lack of brotherhood out on the road the past years (10+ yrs). It's been like that for years he says. I'm sure there are times such as yours he runs across but fewer with each passing year it seems. I want to think he's wrong and that the brotherhood out there is just as strong today as it was, but that maybe wishful thinking. Your thoughts.....

mtnMoma and WatsonDL1 Thank this.
  6. Mattkujata

Mattkujata Medium Load Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Ohio
    A majority of American society seems like it's everyone for themselves. I don't think there's anything wrong with that, as it's part of not only human nature, but the nature of all living things. The problem is a lack of consideration for anyone or anything else while people are looking out for themselves.

Dan Akroyd said it best as Ray in Ghostbusters: "[People] would just as soon step on your face as look at you."

I don't mind helping people out. I hold the door for people, say excuse me as I step in front of someone in a truck stop aisle, make eye contact with people in passing and say hello or give a nod as if to say "Hey there other member of my race, society, community, etc...".

Some people are just miserable. Others don't care or aren't interested. That's all fine with me. I've always been outgoing and friendly, and it can get lonely on the road. Don't get me wrong, I have my "I don't wanna be bothered." moments, but you never know when you'll strike up an interesting conversation, or even worse, learn something.

GSWx, Hammer166, CMate and 9 others Thank this.
  7. maxwelltie

maxwelltie Medium Load Member

Mar 13, 2010
    Brookings, OR
    I think that partly is a result of the increase in larger fleets. Previous to 1976, there were no independents in OTR. All fleets. Then Carter deregulated the industry, giving birth to independents. Now we're seeing the independents' numbers grow smaller and the fleets increasing in size. All one big circle.
    Well the fleets have rules against stopping, getting involved, etc., more for legal and safety purposes than anything else.
    Newer generation drivers tend to be more self centered, but if they hang out in this industry a few years, hopefully they will change.
    Just my opinion.

OEF08, WatsonDL1 and J R W Thank this.
  8. pony boy

pony boy Bobtail Member

Jan 9, 2011
    new florence pa
    things that annoy me - big boy radios with but munchs behind the mic, peeing in the parking lot, jake break anywhere in the truckstop, drivers that plan on staying all nite that just have to have front row parking. things that are nice - parking strait in the lines, pulling up when your done getting fuel, only useing the windshield scrubber for the windows not the rest of the truck,holding the door for a driver with full hands,and not being on the phone in the restroom.

mtnMoma and OEF08 Thank this.
  9. Mr. PlumCrazy

Mr. PlumCrazy Road Train Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Lexington NC
    And if you have to have them 10" 500db pipes and no APU shot yourself before parking in a truck stop. I had to get up and drop my trailer and go park in the car lot one night dumb #@@ backed in next to me

OEF08 Thanks this.
  10. Kittyfoot

Kittyfoot Crusty Ancient

Sep 21, 2009
    Sorrento, Louisiana
    Just a little "do" for you folks. When you're parked at night (especially if the weather's a bit off) and there's somebody backing into the space beside you.... reach over and put your clearance lights on. Gives him another reference point so's he don't scrape the side of your rig.

Colorato, OEF08, CMate and 5 others Thank this.
  11. Irondog

Irondog Light Load Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    One of my biggest peeves is a driver running around with his lights on in the parking lot. Shut them down (if you can) and run your clearance lights. If it's dark, so be it....you shouldn't be moving so fast you can't stop quickly, anyway. You'll be able to see well enough and won't blind other drivers.

OEF08, scottied67 and mtnMoma Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.